The Design of Software (CLOSED)

A public forum for discussing the design of software, from the user interface to the code architecture. Now closed.

The "Design of Software" discussion group has been merged with the main Joel on Software discussion group.

The archives will remain online indefinitely.

Formattable notes across mediums...

Hi there,

I'm continuing my work on the uISV project, and am coming to a crossroads that I thought someone could help me with.  I'm trying to add a "comments" section into the application, and wanted to give the end user the ability of bolding, underlining, italicizing, super and subscript, font size, and font face (probably colors too).  Currently, I have implemented this using RTF, so that anything which you could do in a WordPad document could be done on the application as well. (including pasting an image into the screen.)

I'm running into one design flaw, and thought that maybe someone else has crossed a similar road and could provide some insight.  Part of the ... down the road ... design is going to be creating a WebUI to complemente the WinUI that I'm currently building, so that when one of the users would forget their laptop at the office, they could log in remotely and administer or work from home, using the web interface.  I've found several add-ins that handle the RTF to HTML conversion, but am unsure of how they would handle the opposite (HTML to RTF) with the embedded images into the data.

I have given some thought to using the MHT file format, but that then ties everything to Internet Explorer, which I don't want.

Anyone have any good ideas?
Richard B. Send private email
Thursday, May 15, 2008

Jeff Atwood talks about something similar in his blog this week. Note: as usual there is no good answer.

http://www.codinghorror.com/blog/archives/001116.html
dood mcdoogle
Thursday, May 15, 2008

HTML to RTF and RTF to HTML doesn't seem to work well from what I've seen. And the libraries are expensive.

RTF is yesterdays markup language and I wouldn't consider using it for any new app. IMO HTML is definitely the way to go. The fact that you want a WebGUI in the future gives this even more weight. Bite the bullet, ditch RTF and move to HTML.
Neville Franks Send private email
Thursday, May 15, 2008

After digging through a lot of sites... and I do mean A LOT of sites, I wound up finding this piece from Dave Sexton:

http://www.codeplex.com/DocProject/SourceControl/FileView.aspx?itemId=304103&changeSetId=30985

(I lie.. I actually sent the guy an email after reading one of his posts...)

Anyway, from what I can tell, and I haven't looked completely through everything, he's implementing the WebBrowser control in an edit mode, which is what it seems that everyone is doing that is trying to do this.

I'm probably going to either wind up using his control (already built... just have to use his library naming out of respect to the guy), or script out my own using a touch of his stuff, mainly the list of ExecCommand() list of commands.  For now, this will have to do.
Richard B. Send private email
Thursday, May 15, 2008

> he's implementing the WebBrowser control in an edit mode,
> which is what it seems that everyone is doing that is
> trying to do this.

This works, but I wish there was a lightweight solution. Instantiating a browser just to edit text is a little overkill, especially if you are going to have many such windows open.
coder
Friday, May 16, 2008

I've the lack of firefox support for MHT is holding you back, there may be a solution.

FireFox does support MHT (HTML with images embedded), with the unmht plugin (http://www.unmht.org/). You can detect whether the unmht plugin is installed, so you could provide a link to the plugin if it is missing.

Off course this may be too much of a hassle for your users, as always it depends :)

cheers,

Mathieu
Mathieu Send private email
Saturday, May 17, 2008

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics