The Design of Software (CLOSED)

A public forum for discussing the design of software, from the user interface to the code architecture. Now closed.

The "Design of Software" discussion group has been merged with the main Joel on Software discussion group.

The archives will remain online indefinitely.

Best desktop gui book

Hello

What would be your recommendation for a desktop GUI book?
Actually I might want two, one I would read from start to finish, so it should be no more that 200 pages and should cover all the essentials.

The other one I would use as a reference, when I had a subject I might dig deeper into. The last might be Cooper's about face book, but for the first I'm not so sure about what to choose.
Karsten Send private email
Wednesday, May 07, 2008

Which GUI you want to build with?

Native Windows?  MFC?  X11?  Gtk?  Qt?  HTML?  Tcl/TK?
AllanL5
Wednesday, May 07, 2008

Does it really matter what OS I'm using - are the design principles different? Anyway I'm going to be using Windows .Net WinForms and Silverlight.
Karsten Send private email
Wednesday, May 07, 2008

The guidelines from Microsoft (PDF download available);
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa511258.aspx

Joels' book;
"User Interface Design for Programmers is a concise and logical introduction to UI design for geeks."
http://www.joelonsoftware.com/uibook/chapters/fog0000000057.html

Happy Programming :)
Eddy Vluggen Send private email
Wednesday, May 07, 2008

Jenifer Tidwell's O'Reilly book is very good.
Mark Pearce
Wednesday, May 07, 2008

"Does it really matter what OS I'm using - are the design principles different?"

I think it does, actually. Of course there are general principles you should follow, but there are also platform specific ones. You wouldn't want to follow the Windows guidelines if developing a Mac OS X application, for example.
John Topley Send private email
Wednesday, May 07, 2008

TOG On Interface!
Steve Moyer Send private email
Wednesday, May 07, 2008

The design principles are probably quite similar.  The implementation details of each are wildly different.

Your question implied to me that you wanted something more than "make an uncluttered interface that does what the user expects".
AllanL5
Wednesday, May 07, 2008

++ for the "TOG on Software" and the Tidwell books. The Tidwell book is fairly recent (and covers both desktop as well as web interfaces) and the Tognazzini book, while old (maybe out of print) is still one of the very best books on the subject.
Jeffrey Dutky Send private email
Wednesday, May 07, 2008

"About Face 2.0: The Essentials of Interaction Design" by Alan Cooper et al.

I personally consider it a must read for anyone doing UI development.
Just another voice in the crowd
Thursday, May 08, 2008

Jeff Johnson's "GUI Bloopers" (http://www.gui-bloopers.com/) is way better than it sounds or looks. Get it.
Robby Slaughter Send private email
Thursday, May 08, 2008

Add two more to the list:

Designing Visual Interfaces: Communication Oriented Techniques by Mullet & Sano

and

Universal Principles of Design by William Lidwell et al.
MT Heart
Monday, May 12, 2008

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics