The Design of Software (CLOSED)

A public forum for discussing the design of software, from the user interface to the code architecture. Now closed.

The "Design of Software" discussion group has been merged with the main Joel on Software discussion group.

The archives will remain online indefinitely.

Which Java charting component?

There are _lots_ of Java charting components I can find on the web. To give me a good starting point for evaluating a couple of these, who can recommend one you have had a good experience with?

I'm using this in a Mac-based Swing app. My main requirement is 2-D line charts and bar-charts.

I'd prefer something free, although something inexpensive is okay.
Steve McLeod Send private email
Wednesday, May 07, 2008

The mainstreams ones (that I've heard of) are JFreeGraph and Prefuse. Prefuse looks fancier but the API is a lot less stable the last time I checked.
Gili Send private email
Wednesday, May 07, 2008

JFreeChart looks pretty good: http://www.jfree.org/jfreechart/
John Topley Send private email
Wednesday, May 07, 2008

Second JFreeChart...although you probably have to buy the manual to do any advanced graphing.  Dynamic charting is very good.
Peter
Thursday, May 08, 2008

I've been using jfreechart for SPC graphing. The learning curve takes quite a bit of time but once you get the hang of it, charting is a breeze. The forums are quite helpful too.
JP
Thursday, May 08, 2008

I've used JFreeChart a couple of times in the past. The product has always seemed like a bit of a scam to me. The name suggests it is free, which technically _was_ the case, except that all documentation had been stripped from the code base. To get documentation you had to pay.

It seems the JFreeChart can't quite decide whether their product is free or not.

I was hoping their might be another product.
Friday, May 09, 2008

Ah, on further investigation (which I should have done straight away), it seems the API Javadocs are now available and the manual is only 33 Euros. Seems like this is the way for me to go.
Friday, May 09, 2008

JFreeChart is good and Id recommend it, though the API javadocs could be, shall we say... a little more verbose.

Really you really want to buy the manual which is a far better reference than the javadocs alone.

A random example: the constructor CategoryMarker(Comparable key) in the free javadoc is described as "Creates a new category marker for the specified category." while the manual describes it as "Creates a marker for the category with the specified key, using Color.GRAY for the Paint and new BasicStroke(1.0f) for the stroke".

Alas, the manual is a whopping great PDF. What would have been nice is if the manual came with a set of more detailed javadocs so one could have the IDE reference it for you.

The paid manual also comes with the source code for the demo application which can be quite useful at times.
AH
Friday, May 09, 2008

I liked EasyCharts, nice and simple API, source code available (I believe it was < 10 classes)

www.objectplanet.com/easycharts/
slaven
Monday, May 12, 2008

Depending on the complexity of the charts you need to draw, it might be a better choice to just use the Java2D drawing API. If you just need some simple line-charts and bar-charts, you ought to be able to code that in a few hours with lines and rectangles.
BenjiSmith Send private email
Tuesday, May 13, 2008

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics