The Design of Software (CLOSED)

A public forum for discussing the design of software, from the user interface to the code architecture. Now closed.

The "Design of Software" discussion group has been merged with the main Joel on Software discussion group.

The archives will remain online indefinitely.

Visual Studio equivilent on linux.

I'm porting some C++ code from Windows to linux, and would like to avoid the troubles associated with make files/debugging/watches and so on. Years ago, I used emacs, but, eh...

Are there any good VS-style tools for linux?
my name is here
Monday, April 21, 2008

Eclipse is probably the best option for you.
Brian Leach Send private email
Monday, April 21, 2008

Eclipse is the safe option.

I've heard good things about KDevelop; last time I actually tried it I was disappointed, but that was several years ago now.

Personally I just use emacs... ;)
Iago
Monday, April 21, 2008

MonoDevelop is targeted at .NET, but it does have C/C++ templates. So if you wanted to be using managed C/C++, then that might be an option.

http://www.monodevelop.com

Monday, April 21, 2008

There is an IDE stored in the Ubuntu repositories called Anjunta that is expressly described as a C++ platform. I haven't tried it, but I have heard people speak well of it. I can't speak to Eclipse's power for C++ projects - I have only used Eclipse for toy C++ programming. It's hard to judge the power of a platform when the scope of your problem is small enough to fit mostly in your head.
BrotherBeal Send private email
Monday, April 21, 2008

What is the state of MonoDevelop on Linux? If it can run, you can develop .NET Apps using it.
Joel Marcey Send private email
Monday, April 21, 2008

There is no VS equivalent on Linux (or any other platform). I spend most of my time in Xcode on Mac and have used Eclipse, KDevelop, and NetBeans. There is nothing nearly as good as VS with VisualAssist.

Having said that, I'd probably choose Eclipse or NetBeans if I had to develop on Linux.

Tuesday, April 22, 2008

I've switched to Linux (Ubuntu) about a month ago, doing C++ GUI work. I've evaluated Netbeans, Eclipse, KDevelop and Codeblocks.
I'm sticking with Code::blocks now and it's great.

There are a few things missing though. Intellisense doesn't work quite as well as in VS, and the debugger is less comfortable (hovering over the variable doesn't show you its content, you have to add a watch).

I've also put some effort into learning more about make, autotools and cmake.

CMake is awesome if you need crossplatform builds. Can even produce VS project files, if you need them.

KDevelop is not bad either, but I've had some debugger issues.
Eclipse and Netbeans are pretty good too, but a little on the slow side.
fg
Tuesday, April 22, 2008

"There is nothing nearly as good as VS with VisualAssist."

Sounde like you don't have any experience with TI's Code Composer Studio or Renesas's High Performance Workshop.
fox Send private email
Tuesday, April 22, 2008

"Sounde like you don't have any experience with TI's Code Composer Studio or Renesas's High Performance Workshop."

I have used CCStudio and it is quite good, but I was assuming the OP is not interested in solutions for embedded systems.

Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Here is a commercial C/C++ IDE, Code Forge http://www.codeforge.com/

It has good project/makefile management, debugging, intellisense and class browsing/tracking. I don't know how it compares to Eclipse CDT though.
AqD Send private email
Thursday, April 24, 2008

Try Netbeans 6.1, I have just tried it for java (and its great) but it comes now with C++ support, give it a try.

Personally I think is much much better than eclipse.

rgds.
xavier
Friday, May 16, 2008

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics