The Design of Software (CLOSED)

A public forum for discussing the design of software, from the user interface to the code architecture. Now closed.

The "Design of Software" discussion group has been merged with the main Joel on Software discussion group.

The archives will remain online indefinitely.

CAD 2 letter commands right justified on menu items

The old Generic CAD used 2 letter commands and I would like to steal the idea and display them -- optionally -- on the menu thusly:

ie.  | Scale          st |
    | Skew          sk |

Any thoughts?  Hacks?  I'm not proud!

TIA
Brad Siemens Send private email
Sunday, April 20, 2008

Yeah, I know... ShorcutKeyDisplayString.

I played receiver in college and didn't have very good hands but I made up for it by being slow!
Sunday, April 20, 2008

I'n not familiar with Generic CAD. What's the advantage of such a 2-key implementation over conventional pulldown menu access keys/mnemonics?
Michael Zuschlag Send private email
Monday, April 21, 2008

How would user enter these 2 character commands?
asmguru62 Send private email
Monday, April 21, 2008

Most cad packages have a command prompt window.
In Autocad you can enter the most commonly used commands with just an initial letter, less common with first two letters etc. Of course this requires you to lso press the enter key. Since most commands require extra parameters (the coords of a point) this is much faster than using menus and dialog boxes.

The problem with alt-f-s approach is that it doesn't scale to the 1000s of commands in something like a cad package.
Martin Send private email
Monday, April 21, 2008

What Martin said.  The only thing I could add is that commands without parameters -- zw (zoom window), for example -- operate just like shortcut keys.  Also, the space bar is used as the enter key as well.

I'm old school and learned AutoCAD before menu's were convenient so I became adept at one hand typing while keeping my right hand on the input device.  It is, probably, in the range of 50 times faster.
Tuesday, April 22, 2008

To display the command in a menu item - the TAB character needed in the menu item, like so:

"Skew\tsk"

This will work if your menus are standard Windows menu items in a desktop application.
asmguru62
Tuesday, April 22, 2008

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics