The Design of Software (CLOSED)

A public forum for discussing the design of software, from the user interface to the code architecture. Now closed.

The "Design of Software" discussion group has been merged with the main Joel on Software discussion group.

The archives will remain online indefinitely.

What's a workflow system?

I don't know enough about how to define a "workflow" system, so I am asking a question. I am a support guy, so don't know software design

The place where I work, has a robust workflow system, which was build a few years ago. We have a tendency to use it for every new component added to the product. A lot of those things, which are added to workflow framework, can probably be done by using a "state" database and by keeping track of the state, if I have to write that code.

So, my question is, is "workflow" usually used for the type of work that I described above?, i.e. where an object can go through a few different states. If yes, what benefits are gained by using workflow instead of a simple state database (any database with the object id & a state).
martin
Tuesday, April 08, 2008

I have worked on what I would call workflow systems, where you have (say) an application to open an account, or maybe print a cheque, and it goes through various stages and lots of funky rules based on residence, age, income, etc. before finally being processed.

I would assume that a workflow system is something that tries to paramaterize that sort of thing so that you can add new rules without writing code. I have seen people try to do this and it usually doesn't work very well, because the next twist that comes up invariably requires some data or calculation that the designers didn't envisage.
Greg Send private email
Tuesday, April 08, 2008

Daniel_DL Send private email
Wednesday, April 09, 2008

Workflow systems are usually based on Petri Nets, which are described in http://www.tonymarston.net/php-mysql/workflow.html
Tony Marston Send private email
Wednesday, April 09, 2008

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics