The Design of Software (CLOSED)

A public forum for discussing the design of software, from the user interface to the code architecture. Now closed.

The "Design of Software" discussion group has been merged with the main Joel on Software discussion group.

The archives will remain online indefinitely.

Need expert advice on winforms/control library/oneclick deploy

Hi,

Sorry if this isn't exactly the right place for the topic, but I figured this is where we get some really well informed opinions.
OOPS - i cross posted this by mistake in the other forum too, sorry. Anyway.

If one were to deploy a fairly rich-client, but local installation isn't an option, then there are 3 ways
-ActiveX (much hated)
-Java applets
-.NET deployment (windows forms from a server location)

The UI will need options like menu's, drag-drop, moving things around etc etc. I'm also unclear about how the windows control library for .NET differs from activeX?

Can you write your opinions on what you would use, and why? and any links/resources will help too. I have a decent idea about these but I don't want to be biased by what I know. poormanneedsrichclient
Tuesday, January 18, 2005
poormanneedsrichclient

If I needed a rich application UI I probably would not bother with either ActiveX or applets unless they were being used to supplement a mostly HTML interface. If your building a rich application certainly consider the browser as a delivery mechanism but otherwise I would get the application out of the browser.

Thus your basically left with a choice between Java Webstart and the equivalent .Net technology (oneclick?). Choosing between the two of those semantically equivalent technologies should be relatively simple.

BTW, another alternative to activex/applets is Macromedia's Flex but I have no personal experience with it.
Gerald Send private email

one click will be available in the next version - code name Whidbey.
Steve
Wednesday, January 19, 2005

I think Flex is built from Java?
Steve
Wednesday, January 19, 2005

Mike Green Send private email
Saturday, January 29, 2005

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics