The Design of Software (CLOSED)

A public forum for discussing the design of software, from the user interface to the code architecture. Now closed.

The "Design of Software" discussion group has been merged with the main Joel on Software discussion group.

The archives will remain online indefinitely.

Any GIS experts around here?

Problem: I need GIS data from some rather obscure parts of the world. The USGS has decent geotiff data available for the USA, but not the planet (as near as I can tell)

Addl' Problem: Need it in two weeks.

Yet another problem: Company largely unwilling to purchase non-free data. (Typical price: 500 dollars per 100 sq miles).

Anyway, does anyone around here know where there is 1 or 3 second GIS data for the whole world?

Thanks!
Just Asking
Monday, March 24, 2008

Waterways, roads, major structures, land cover, coastlines, elevation, 1/2 meter terrain imagery, what kind of GIS data are you talking about?
John
Monday, March 24, 2008

Imagery. Like this:

http://ueod-globe.net/globe/TrueMarble/TrueMarble.32km.1350x675.tif.gz

That is 32 km data. The pixel width/height on the USA data I have is 1 meter. That's more-or-less what I need for the world.
Just Asking
Monday, March 24, 2008

"I'm no expert, but ..."

Free one-meter terrain for the whole world? That's a pretty optimistic request.
David Aldridge Send private email
Monday, March 24, 2008

So to recap: you want an expert to give you GIS data for the entire globe down to 1 meter resolution, for free?
Joe Turner Send private email
Monday, March 24, 2008

Yeah, that's exactly what I want.

Geez. The usgs gives out free imagery for all of North America. This suggests to me that someone...maybe the US gov't, maybe some other institution...does the same globally. If not, fine.
Just Asking
Monday, March 24, 2008

Free 1m imagery? Uhhhh no... it's very expensive to create and process (ortho-rectify, color correct etc). Tell your bosses if they want expensive data they're going to have to pay for it.

If it's just a prototype and you don't mind the "GOOGLE" stamps, try google maps and line it up by hand.
John
Monday, March 24, 2008

"Geez. The usgs gives out free imagery for all of North America. This suggests to me that someone...maybe the US gov't, maybe some other institution...does the same globally."

I'm betting it all comes from the NSA.  There's a pretty good reason it isn't ALL public domain.

Monday, March 24, 2008

Not sure how you're going to use it, but you might try building on top of Google maps or Google Earth. For example, the Baghdad imagery is surprisingly good.
Developer #13
Monday, March 24, 2008

Try http://www.openstreetmaps.org or http://www.openlayers.org .  As others here have said, don't hold your breath for high-res AND free data.
Steve Moyer Send private email
Monday, March 24, 2008

"Not sure how you're going to use it, but you might try building on top of Google maps or Google Earth. For example, the Baghdad imagery is surprisingly good."

Google Maps is only free if you are hosting the end result on a public server. If it's destined for a corporate intranet or desktop app you will have to buy a licence (which the last time I looked had the word "enterprise" in it, so don't expect it to be cheap).

I imagine similar restrictions apply to Google Earth.
Anna-Jayne Metcalfe Send private email
Monday, March 31, 2008

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics