The Design of Software (CLOSED)

A public forum for discussing the design of software, from the user interface to the code architecture. Now closed.

The "Design of Software" discussion group has been merged with the main Joel on Software discussion group.

The archives will remain online indefinitely.

"Realtime Chat" offered on website.

Would appreciate any comments on realtime "Chat" offered on websites for sales and customer support purposes.

We are tinkering with adding it to our site.  We have looked at LiveChat.  It seems to be a very good product although a bit expensive. 

Does it help with the sales cycle?

Or do people ultimately end up calling on the phone?

Thanks.
M.J. Schenkel Send private email
Monday, March 10, 2008

1) As a client, excellent.
2) As a supporter, probably not as much - people using "real-time chat" _expect_ it to be real-time!

This means that it is not sufficient to answer the questions after 10 minutes when you have a minute to spare, you must answer them NOW!

Email, on the other hand, works quite well, but I much prefer live chat, as it's an excellent alternative to the phone. :) (I'm deaf, which would make me an atypical client...)
Arafangion Send private email
Monday, March 10, 2008

Are you referring to the flash pop-ups that say "Chat with a salesperson NOW!" over and over and over again?

Those are soooo annoying.
Joe Turner Send private email
Monday, March 10, 2008

Stay away from LivePerson (which I KNOW is different from Livechat!).

The basic functionality works okay, but the LivePerson application is buggy as hell. From time to time it will cause some of our PCs to lose network connectivity until they reboot.

And the e-mail module has problems -- the biggest is that it doesn't support attachments. Which sucks because a lot of users send screenshots of errors or PDFs of purchase orders.

We are looking to switch *back* to FogBugz for managing group e-mail and looking for another solution for realtime chat.
Longtime user who wishes to be anonymous Send private email
Monday, March 10, 2008

I personally love live chat but I have implemented it in several client's sites and the results have been mixed but not very good.
First of all if it is there it has to work fast. That means having people to answer it immediately. But even if it does most potential clients don't use it. We had a poll running in one of those sites asking if people wanted the service (people being registered user from a commercial site) and most of them said that they were a afraid of using it! Most of them though they had to install something to chat and avoid it altogether! Go figure...
So my idea is this: if your costumers are techies then they will use it every time they can. If not.. It does pay off.
Just my 2 cents.
Antonio Louro Send private email
Saturday, March 15, 2008

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics