The Design of Software (CLOSED)

A public forum for discussing the design of software, from the user interface to the code architecture. Now closed.

The "Design of Software" discussion group has been merged with the main Joel on Software discussion group.

The archives will remain online indefinitely.

Tools to assist in large database design management?

Getting into some software development which will require development of large databases, just wondering how different poeple are handling their management and of tables and fields during the design process?
Jason Send private email
Tuesday, February 26, 2008

You should always use a database design tool for developing/managing large database systems.

Beside design and documentation purposes, a better modeling tool will give you the ability to do full-cycle database management (i.e. ability to synch between an existing database and model, or vice-versa).

A model and/or reports of your model (HTML, Adobe, etc) are invaluable tools to communicate with your peers, development team, etc.

An excellent tool that I’ve come across recently that won’t cost you as much as the database itself is ModelRight, from http://www.modelright.com
anon

I've been using an Eclipse plugin by a japanese company called Azzuri Clay to create table layouts and indexes.  It'll allow you to change target RDBMS and create the database script

I am using Hibernate for my current project and letting hibernate worry about the schema for a change
java shop

You want a Data Modeling tool.

Heres an aging list but I think most are still relevant.
http://www.databaseanswers.org/modelling_tools.htm

Off the top of my head the most popular are :
1) Embarcedero ER/Studio
2) CA Erwin
3) Sybase Power Designer

From my own research and playing around, If I had the 5K to buy one, Id go for ER/Studio.

Note: These tools are for "Designing" a database from Conceptual to Physical and are also used to continually perform updates/syncs in both directions.
Anon cause I fear the real world

"Large" in number of tables, or amount of data?
David Aldridge Send private email

Definitely second the clarification... I have a database with about 20 tables, but one of them has 100,000,000 records in it(and growing). Its been a learning experience...
Matt Send private email
Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Yeah, there are some interesting challenges with tables containing billions of rows. I have done carrier billing and real-time fraud detection systems (telecoms) using multi-billion row tables.

I used SQL Server and was pleasantly surprised at how easily it coped. I was wondering if I'd have to fight for Oracle on Unix in a true-blue MS shop, so I was glad not to have to go down that route.

My advice is really to profile everything, so you know where it is slow, rather than wasting time on premature optimisation. The tools that come with the database should allow you to do this. If you don't have the DBA background, make sure you spend a lot of time with your DBA who can help you with all this stuff.

If you have any specific questions, I'd be happy to try and help.
Odysseus Send private email
Wednesday, February 27, 2008

This is a website that you install and it points to your database allowing you to see table level information and add comments to columns and tables.

Not appropriate for everything, but I thought it was useful.

http://www.DigitalTools.com/InstantDataDictionary.aspx
Jim Brooks Send private email
Tuesday, March 18, 2008

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics