The Design of Software (CLOSED)

A public forum for discussing the design of software, from the user interface to the code architecture. Now closed.

The "Design of Software" discussion group has been merged with the main Joel on Software discussion group.

The archives will remain online indefinitely.

Shopping cart integration

Hi, I'm going to be writing a custom shopping cart for a new e-commerce site soon and I was wondering if anyone knew of a good source that shows how to make a good interface to be able to integrate easily with any payment processing service. (eg, paypal and others). 
I've looked at a bunch of the shopping cart systems already and they don't meet the unique requirements for this site. That's why I'm creating my own. 
Is it best to just make sure that I can easily make plugins for different sites for my shopping cart?
As a side note, my plan is for the check out process to remain on the site, and not go to the payment service's site.
Oliver Kiel
Friday, February 15, 2008

If it's a custom shopping cart designed for one e-commerce site, why do you need to be able to hook in to 'any payment processing service'?  Sounds like overkill to me.

If it's designed for use by only one company, and built specifically to meet their needs, then surely they will only have 1 or 2 payment options - usually just 1.
B.K. Send private email

You make a good point. We just haven't decided on a payment processor yet, and we want to be able to change our processor (without too much hassle) if we're not satisfied. 
That's why I was thinking of making a simple plugin interface that can convert our data to the required format for a payment service.
Oliver Kiel

Try this book.  Its a walk though of hooking up a shopping cart and uses paypal as the provider.

http://www.amazon.com/ASP-NET-E-Commerce-2005-Experts-Voice/dp/1590597249/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1203340548&sr=8-1
ideas guy
Monday, February 18, 2008

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics