The Design of Software (CLOSED)

A public forum for discussing the design of software, from the user interface to the code architecture. Now closed.

The "Design of Software" discussion group has been merged with the main Joel on Software discussion group.

The archives will remain online indefinitely.

What are continuation-based web frameworks good for?

I took a look at Seaside [ http://www.seaside.st ] a couple of years ago and decided it looked novel and intriguing but not specially practical. I mean, besides retro adventure coders, who uses gets() outside school anyway?

I wasn't specially surprised to hear that Paul Graham uses continuations in Arc to keep his web apps short, but I was to see how many people answered to his challenge with their own favorite frameworks, and Seaside wasn't the only one saving state with the aforementioned continuations.

So, what am I failing to see here? I can see how a framework like these would be useful to write a multi-step operation, like e-commerce checkout or some kind of online wizard, but why use it for a CMS or a forum? Aren't event-based frameworks more flexible and simpler to understand?
rubinelli
Friday, February 08, 2008

That's just great. Yet another Web framework based on some oddball programming language. Not one but TWO learning curves and you'll probably have to do your own hosting to have it supported!

I wouldn't mind so much people coming out with new Web scripting languages if only each one didn't have its own little stupidities. What's the point of getting rid of a set of design mistakes only to swap an entirely different set of design mistakes?

And why on earth start from scratch if there's not goign to be any net benefit? Software development has become a tower of Babel. We have to choose a language and framework and then by the time we realize its limitations we're stuck with a bunch of legacy code. And we'll never get back the time we invested.

Why not just start with something broadly adopted like PHP and then fork off a branch that fixes its most glaring deficiencies? Is that too horrible a thought to contemplate?
Rowland

Just so we're clear my beef isn't with the continuation based approach as such. I'm fine with that so long as you don't make it mandatory and you maintain some backward compatibility. It's a new experimental thing and we shouldn't be forced to take it or leave it all at once. Let us ease into it. And if it doesn't work for us let us be able to back out of it.
Rowland

Jetty also supports continuations

http://docs.codehaus.org/display/JETTY/Continuations
Joann Everman Send private email
Saturday, February 09, 2008

Just to be clear, continuation-based web frameworks were out first. :-)
anon
Monday, February 11, 2008

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics