The Design of Software (CLOSED)

A public forum for discussing the design of software, from the user interface to the code architecture. Now closed.

The "Design of Software" discussion group has been merged with the main Joel on Software discussion group.

The archives will remain online indefinitely.

Game Theory Question...

A little offtopic, yes.

Anyway, is there a term in game theory to describe the following, related to a guard/prisoner relationship:

Expressed shortly, the problem is, "The guard must keep watch continuously, while the prisoner only needs to escape once." It's also expressed in the cliche, "You can't put the genie back in the bottle."

It's not much of a "game", but it exists all over the place.
my name is here Send private email
Thursday, February 07, 2008

In the field of security, this is known as the defender's dilemma.
dev1
Friday, February 08, 2008

I've also heard this as the Roadrunner problem (as in Wile E. Coyote and the Roadrunner...)

Coyote only needs to catch the roadrunner once.
Chris Tavares Send private email

Those both work. I think "defender's dilemma" sounds okay, but I can't find a definite definition anywhere...

This has been bugging me for a long time in a political sense. It seems like there are always two fields of politics, with one being the guard, the other the prisoner. As Talleyrand said,

"He who has not lived in the years before the revolution cannot know what the sweetness of living is."

The prisoners got through, and that was that. A whole culture disappeared.
my name is here Send private email

This reminds me of mathematical proofs.. You have to find one instance to disprove something, but to be true, it has to be true for all possible values.

I have no idea what this is called.
math

Peter Send private email

In game theoretic terms, this could be characterized as an asymmetric game in which the prisoner's strategy is payoff dominant and the guard's strategy is risk dominant.
Mikkin

I recall "Prisoner's Dilemma".

MathWorld is a good reference for such things:

http://mathworld.wolfram.com/PrisonersDilemma.html

And Wikipedia (of course)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prisoner's_dilemma

But I think your talking about something else...
Corin Lawson Send private email

"black swan" is a related metaphor, although not exactly the same thing.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_swan_theory
Troels Knak-Nielsen Send private email
Monday, February 11, 2008

This is same as a double or nothing game against a partner with unlimited resources. The winner is predetermined and it's just a matter of time to reach the end game.
Dino Send private email
Friday, February 15, 2008

What if the "truth by contradiction" is never found within your app?

Is the logic of the app correct or not?

I would say it's RELATIVELY correct until a user discovers its truth by contradiction.

Perception is more powerful than truth in terms of its manifestation because within every human perception exists certain biases, that, even in spite of the unobtrusive face of truth often remains concealed therein compromising the realization of truth.

In other words, if it's not manifested as truth, perception prevails irrespective of its boolean reality.
Brice Richard Send private email
Thursday, February 21, 2008

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics