The Design of Software (CLOSED)

A public forum for discussing the design of software, from the user interface to the code architecture. Now closed.

The "Design of Software" discussion group has been merged with the main Joel on Software discussion group.

The archives will remain online indefinitely.

Design of forum software

This is ON TOPIC, bitch!

so, on the topic of forum design, this forking of the forum into 4 new forums blows.  I think we need an outsourcing topic, a flamewar topic, and a Sathyaish Chalkboarderaser topic, as long as we're dividing stuff up.  How about a trashed threads topic where the dozens of threads deemed not Joel-worthy each day can be preserved for posterity?

I think this is the beginning of the end, or at least, will be a serious shift in the culture of the forums.  Now, if the intention is to break up the current community and in doing so, alter the mood of the forums and make it something more serious, then I think that is probably what's going to happen.  But really, is that the sort of site Joel wants?  One with no established community, unless it's a community in his image?

bah.

Also, what the hell is up with this minty color scheme we've got now, and why is everything compressed over leftwards?  The whole flow of the forum is different on the page, and it looks like butt.

Not that I've seen many butts, but I've seen enough to have a vague recollection.
muppet Send private email
Friday, September 03, 2004

I'm gonna follow muppet and copy my posts into this topic as well... 
---

I predict all the other forums will die a slow death.  The human-side of sofware is the first to go.  If your post is about design or business then it's also about the human-side and vice-versa.  So that thread "means" nothing.  It'll be gone first.

If Business and Design are separate forums what goes in the main Joel on Software forum?  I guess it's topic is *just* about Joels posts (which are no doubt about Business and Design) but because we historically use that forum for everything -- it'll remain about everything.  Which will leave nothing for the other forums.

People like to post their topic where they are likely to get a response.  So less activity in the other forums will actually cause less activity in the other forums.  The spiral of forum death.

I just don't get why people like the new forums.  The forum is EXACTLY the same -- it has one less MAJOR feature (the search) and one new MINOR feature (a field for URL).  They should be apathetic towards it at best.  It's not really better, it's not really worse.

I really think that the link the old forums is a bad idea.  If it's an upgrade, you should import the old data.  Really, how long is that link going to be around for?  If Joel eventually adds a super awesome search, we won't be able to search those old posts with it.

And finally, where's the search?!?
Almost Anonymous Send private email

(a) The forum was always squashed over on the left side.  At least, it always was for me, maybe you were using a crappy browser that rendered it wrong.

(b) A better way to split the topics would be to have a special Muppet forum, where Muppet can go and post and the rest of us DON'T HAVE TO LISTEN TO HIM BITCHING ABOUT EVERYTHING ALL THE TIME.
muppet hater

Forking => now cross-posting.
Tedious bitch

Well said, muppet.

The mix of topics, even the shite ones, was surely part of the JoS special sauce.
Slough Bloke Send private email
Saturday, September 04, 2004

I was going to pat muppett on the back for making a funny with the "Sathyaish Chalkboarderaser" quip until I saw it cross-posted.  Quoting oneself... so un-funny.
BadMuppetNoCookie
Saturday, September 04, 2004

Really? I thought it was creative and original when the Beastie Boys sampled THEMSELVES. Very bold. :)
Brad Wilson Send private email
Sunday, September 05, 2004

The most pathetic part of this sorry saga is that history repeated itself, hence my "Deja vu" post.

I suspect it was deleted, but the idea of it was that the "new" forum is just as vunerable to playful manipulation as the old one was.

I posted a reply to Sathyaish, pretending to be Joel, using the old two line Joel Spolsky/Fog Creak Software sig. I thought it'd be ironic to do that, as Joel now uses a little green tick to show how important he is.

For anyone who's been around a while, they will remember when several people worked out how to do that in the old forum.

Given that this hasn't been fixed yet, I doubt whether FogBUGZ is ready for the big time.

http://discuss.joelonsoftware.com/default.asp?pg=pgDiscussThread&ixDiscussTopicParent=506&ixDiscussGroup=3&cReplies=0

http://discuss.joelonsoftware.com/default.asp?pg=pgDiscussThread&ixDiscussTopicParent=486&ixDiscussGroup=3&cReplies=0
Nemesis
Sunday, September 05, 2004

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics