The Design of Software (CLOSED)

A public forum for discussing the design of software, from the user interface to the code architecture. Now closed.

The "Design of Software" discussion group has been merged with the main Joel on Software discussion group.

The archives will remain online indefinitely.

Anyone familiar with CVFS drives?

I'm writing DOS batch files to copy files between a Windows computer and a network running CVFS with a Samba bridge. I have no idea what that means, really, the network guy told me that.

The first issue, that I can live with, but it might be a clue to help with the second problem, is that all file access in the batch files has to be case sensitive.

The second problem, which is the show stopper, is that I can't use wildcards on the CVFS drive. I can't do 'dir *.txt', it reports no files found. 'dir *.*' works. 'dir repor*.txt' does not.

I literally just want to use dir, copy and xcopy with wildcards, nothing more complex than that.

I've got the network guy to contact the firm who makes CVFS, and am waiting for a reply. And I'm now going to try Googling, but I'm sure I won't use the correct search terms.

Does this ring any bells with anyone?
Clutching at straws
Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Apparently CVFS is now called StorNext. Try googling that, and you might get more useful information.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/StorNext_File_System

No idea why "dir *.txt" wouldn't work, though - that's just weird. I suspect the SMB bridge is doing something weird...
Mark Bessey Send private email
Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Cracked it. It was Samba. Case sensitivity again. Windows only sends requests as uppercase, so 'dir *.txt' only finds *.TXT.

So I just made sure all my files are uppercase, and everything works.

Thanks for your help, didn't know about the StorNext thing.
Clutching at straws
Thursday, January 31, 2008

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics