The Design of Software (CLOSED)

A public forum for discussing the design of software, from the user interface to the code architecture. Now closed.

The "Design of Software" discussion group has been merged with the main Joel on Software discussion group.

The archives will remain online indefinitely.

py2app if you don't own a mac

Can I package python applications into mac .apps without the use of a mac? I googled everything possible, and can't even find a mite of information about the .app file format.
Ian Sinke Send private email
Saturday, January 19, 2008

The .app file format is normally referred to as a "bundle", which is the search term you want to be using.  It's just a particular directory structure that OS X recognises and treats specially.  You probably can create them in other OSes, but I don't think you'll be able to package them into .dmg files for distribution without a Mac.

Simplest approach is just to pick up a cheap second-hand Mac Mini or something.  It's not much of an outlay, and you don't really want to be distributing software you haven't tested, do you?
Iago
Sunday, January 20, 2008

I don't think it's possible to wrap a python .app bundle without a mac. I would do as previously suggested, pick up a used mac, if you are short for cash.

However, if you are really interested in building for the mac platform, I would suggest investing in a machine that you can use for development and testing. $1000 will get you a macbook, $700 a mac mini. I would go new, so you can get leopard and build for the future.

That's just my opinion though.
Jordan Sherer Send private email
Sunday, January 20, 2008

Agreed, even if you could get a app built from windows, how do you know your code works without having actually tested it on a mac?  Might as well get one and write it off as a business expense.
bahen
Sunday, January 20, 2008

I'll add, if you need access to some mac testing, I may be able to help you out. Hit me up via email.
Jordan Sherer Send private email
Sunday, January 20, 2008

I looked over the Apple Bundle guidelines, one thing I can't figure out is how to specify which executable to launch when the user launches the app. (Isn't this done by something called Launch Services?)
Ian Sinke Send private email
Monday, January 21, 2008

Can I just ask why you want to release an app for the Mac without owning a Mac? Other posters have said that you should get a Mac because it will make the job easier, but I think you have to get a Mac if you want anyone to use your application. If you don't use a Mac then you can't see if your application works properly. You don't know how Mac applications should behave so your application will stick out like a sore thumb. You'd struggle to get users even if it was freeware. You're far better ignoring the Mac than releasing a shoddy app for it.
Martin Pilkington Send private email
Monday, January 21, 2008

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics