The Design of Software (CLOSED)

A public forum for discussing the design of software, from the user interface to the code architecture. Now closed.

The "Design of Software" discussion group has been merged with the main Joel on Software discussion group.

The archives will remain online indefinitely.

Selecting any text on screen

I use Babylon dictionary for several years. This program has a very nice feature: it can capture almost any text on screen, even from controls and bitmaps (using simple OCR technique).

I've noticed many times I use Babylon not for translation but for capturing text that cannot be normally selected and copied. I capture error messages from dialog boxes to paste them into MSKB or Google. I capture control captions when writing step-by-step instructions.

Don't you think that in desktop operating system all visible text should be selectable?

Monday, January 07, 2008

Error messages: press ctrl+C when dialog shows, and et voila!
The Imposter
Monday, January 07, 2008

Cool! But this only applies to the standard message boxes. Not all application use them.

I've came across application outputting log into list boxes or other  not-so-user-friendly controls...

Monday, January 07, 2008

This is one of my pet peeves, as well. Obviously(?), not all the text on the screen should be selectable - that'd make buttons and menus kind of hard to use.

But if there's text on the screen that someone might possibly want to copy and paste somewhere else, you ought to make it selectable.

The Ctrl-C hack for messageboxes is better than nothing, but it's still a hack.
Mark Bessey Send private email
Wednesday, January 09, 2008

Babylon dictionary. It can capture text from bitmaps. can't it? I am looking for the software which is better for that function.
Thanks alot.

Jeff
http://www.use.com.cn
jefflou Send private email
Monday, January 14, 2008

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics