The Design of Software (CLOSED)

A public forum for discussing the design of software, from the user interface to the code architecture. Now closed.

The "Design of Software" discussion group has been merged with the main Joel on Software discussion group.

The archives will remain online indefinitely.

Deployment of binary PHP extensions

I have recently started developing a new product in PHP, and for this I plan to have some of the business logic implemented as a PHP extension. Although I am new to PHP extension development, I am making progress on the development side.

The problem I am having is that I do not seem to be able to find information about how to deliver and deploy this extension in binary form to an existing production server. I have tried storing the library in the extensions directory and have updated php.ini, but there is apparently some step I have missed.

I am hoping someone here would be able to provide some advice or point me in the right direction.
Christian Send private email
Sunday, January 06, 2008

I think you're going to run into problems on this one... requiring someone to edit the php.ini is not the best thing to do.  They can kill their config and then they'll blame you.  Or - in most shared hosting environments - they can't edit it anyway, so you've closed off a huge part of your market.

If you go the compiled route, be careful... I recently ran into an issue where the code was obfuscated against 4.3.something and when we upgraded to 5.2.4, we had to contact the original company to get the code re-obfuscated.  Arg.  Luckily, they were willing to give us an obfuscated version due to other considerations...
KC Send private email
Monday, January 07, 2008

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics