The Design of Software (CLOSED)

A public forum for discussing the design of software, from the user interface to the code architecture. Now closed.

The "Design of Software" discussion group has been merged with the main Joel on Software discussion group.

The archives will remain online indefinitely.

Portal-like framework but without the Portal overhead

Hi, sorry for cross-posting, maybe I should have posted this here first.

For a new project I need to implement many ModulesThatI'veWrittenThousandTimes, such as a login/password recovery procedure, CRUDs for users, roles, permissions, flexible and configurable navigation, and wire all this to about 20 modules that will represent the actual content of the application. I **really** don't want to spend any more time creating an "Add User" page and having to deal with session variables in order to enforce authentication and roles.

A portal would then be of great help because all this functionality is already in place, and the portlet theory states that you don't have to care about that stuff any more. But a portal server seems like overkill to me, and looking at most open source solutions, speed is not exactly their strength.

So my question is, I have a dream where a java framework exists that implements all authentication/authorization stuff -and user/role/permission management- and allows easy integration with it without having to target something as odd as portlets. Is there such a thing?
Dario Vasconcelos Send private email
Wednesday, January 02, 2008

Yes, there are several open source projects like this.  A fairly popular one is AppFuse which gives you quite a bit of choice as what web framework and ORM you want to use.  It uses Spring quite heavily and integrates Acegi for authorisation/authentication purposes.
Rob
Wednesday, January 02, 2008

AppFuse?  Spring?  Acegi?

How do people ever get approval to use such random bags of technology in a production application?  Or do they just create "throwaway du jour" every few days, demoting consistency and maintainability to irrelevant issues?

Just hobby applications or what?
Artad Gobeski
Thursday, January 03, 2008

You're kidding me right?  Spring is almost industry standard nowadays.  Its used on major enterprise projects for global banks, fortune 100's, etc.   

Acegi is basically the security system built for Spring.  Appfuse is simply an open source project which allows you to choose other frameworks and performs some of the grunt work for you.
Rob
Thursday, January 03, 2008

"How do people ever get approval"

You don't.

OK that's tongue in cheek and smart-mouthed, but in many cases you can just use whatever you like as long as you don't make an issue out if it by asking approval.  Spring/etc is free, so no budgetary approval required.  The rest can be written off as ask-me-no-questions; Don't ask, just use it. 

Results count, not technology.
Dan Fleet Send private email
Friday, January 04, 2008

JAAS or Spring would be good options.
Me Send private email
Monday, January 14, 2008

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics