The Design of Software (CLOSED)

A public forum for discussing the design of software, from the user interface to the code architecture. Now closed.

The "Design of Software" discussion group has been merged with the main Joel on Software discussion group.

The archives will remain online indefinitely.

Using Python in IIS

I am starting on developing an Python web application, for that I configured my IIS extensions like this "python.exe %s %s" and this worked pretty good when I call the .py files from the browser. I also read that I will have to use mod_python modules for Apache. So, what about IIS? or the way I am currently doing is good enough in a production machine? Please suggest me.
Vkr Send private email
Wednesday, December 26, 2007

If you must use Python, I believe that you're going to be better off with Apache. I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure that IIS is going to have to startup a new instance of python.exe for each request where as Apache will just embed a python interpreter into it's server process.

In general, if you are forced to use any kind of open source software on your server, then you're going to get better performance from it on a *nix server because that stuff is all coded for *nix.

Why don't you do a load test to see how many requests/s IIS can serve up with that configuration?
Wayne Bloss Send private email

IIS 7 ships with FastCGI support in the box, and it's now a free download for IIS 6. You should be able to use any of the existing Python frameworks with IIS now with little or no difficultly. The FastCGI stuff takes care of the process start overhead.

Hmm, I suppose I have to actually go try it now. ;-)
Chris Tavares Send private email

I know next to nothing about this, but there is a python implementation for .net (ironpython). Why can't you use that?
Troels Knak-Nielsen Send private email
Friday, December 28, 2007

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics