The Design of Software (CLOSED)

A public forum for discussing the design of software, from the user interface to the code architecture. Now closed.

The "Design of Software" discussion group has been merged with the main Joel on Software discussion group.

The archives will remain online indefinitely.

Access style Query Builder Control

I’m building a solution which allows users to query data in primarilyy Access and SQL Server databases. It’s a VB6 plug-in to Excel, so it needs to be ActiveX. I’d prefer the component to be as drag-and-drop as possible whilst still allowing advanced users to edit the SQL directly.

Has anybody had any experience with components such as Active Query Builder or similar?

I was interested in your real world experiences including design, development and deployment issues for the component you’ve used as well as bugs and support issues with the component provider.

Thanks for your assistance - Marcus
Marcus not from Melbourne
Tuesday, December 18, 2007

Here's one that I found. I never used it, but they have a demo:

http://www.activequerybuilder.com/
Wayne Bloss Send private email

Doh! Didn't see that you already found this one, sorry.
Wayne Bloss Send private email

Have you ever seen Microsoft Query? It is a query builder that connect to various data sources. It is very similar to the Query builder in Access.
anon

Hi anon,

Yes - I'm familiar with Microsoft Query.

I need a programmable component that I can embed in an application I'm developing. Beyond the Windows 3.1 GUI and inherent bugs I don't believe that Microsoft Query can be blended in to a custom application.

Thanks - Marcus

Uhh, MSQuery might just work for you, but the UI is god awful. IIRC it comes installed with all recent versions of Office, so check it out. It is also not too flexible on what it outputs.

For a project not so long ago I had a similar requirement, and couldn't find any halfway decent components within my budget, so I ended up rolling my own. The logic to create valid SQL wasn't actually that complicated when I only had to generate one dialect, but it still felt like reinventing the wheel somebody should've already created.
J.F.

If you can use SQL 2005, then I'd recommend the Report Builder Client - it's near the bottom of http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/sql/2005/2005ssrs.mspx
Rusty Divine Send private email
Thursday, December 20, 2007

Thanks Rusty but they could be using any version of Access 97 upwards or SQL Server 2000 upwards.

There is also no assumption (or dependence) of a .Net installation.

Thanks
Thursday, December 20, 2007

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics