The Design of Software (CLOSED)

A public forum for discussing the design of software, from the user interface to the code architecture. Now closed.

The "Design of Software" discussion group has been merged with the main Joel on Software discussion group.

The archives will remain online indefinitely.

Agile DB development

Has anyone had any experience with things like http://dbdeploy.com/ (nice, but doesn't work well with branching, or, indeed, with versioning of things beyond the original version) or http://migratedb.sourceforge.net/ (claims to be able to work with branches, but documentation is not too clear, so haven't had a chance to play much with it yet). Additionally, either one of those relies on the "deltas" which have to be produced manually. Has anyone found a better tool?
not a dba
Saturday, December 15, 2007

dbdeploy seems to be doing what I'm doing by hand.

You could probably graft branching support onto something like that yourself. Just use a schema version numbering system that reflects your branching setup and check your DB scripts into the appropriate branch in your version control system. Merging has the potential to be messy, but so be it.
clcr
Monday, December 17, 2007

Check out Red Gate's db compare tools. I've used them in the past, and they were very helpful.
Patrick Foley Send private email
Monday, December 17, 2007

source control on a database is difficult because "recompiling all your code" , means dropping all your tables that have data in them and re-creating them.

so you can't do it. Every project I am on its a pain. The most effective way i have found to do it, is to package DB changes into releases. These releases do NOT coincide with an SVN number. Its internal.

then have a "create.sql" for each release. I would then have a shell script that calls the create scripts for each release and then records to a table in the database what release level I am at.

you separate releases by folders.
Contractor
Wednesday, December 26, 2007

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics