The Design of Software (CLOSED)

A public forum for discussing the design of software, from the user interface to the code architecture. Now closed.

The "Design of Software" discussion group has been merged with the main Joel on Software discussion group.

The archives will remain online indefinitely.

In what language is Sharepoint written in?

I encounter some bugs, and it would help if I would know in what language it is written in.
Waaiboom-Terneuk Send private email
Friday, December 07, 2007

Dan Fleet Send private email
Friday, December 07, 2007

I believe it was originally developed in C++.  Of course you can now develop .NET executables in C++ so it is possible they ported it or have developed portions of it now in some flavor of .NET.
Zounder
Sunday, December 09, 2007

Most of MSFT's products are still written in C++ and run natively.  They make allowances to inter-operate with .NET for business reasons.
Floyd in Redmond
Sunday, December 09, 2007

Yes, for MOSS 2007.
I mean Sharepoint 2003. I think it is C++, but I'm not sure, but can not find anything that could confirm it.

Monday, December 10, 2007

I talked to a microsoft developer and he told me it was written in perl and ruby on rails.
think about it
Thursday, December 13, 2007

LMAO!  perl ;-)

I find it interesting that most of the power house software mega-corps -- including Microsoft -- still use C++.  You just can beat it.
Lord Byte
Friday, December 21, 2007

Unless you use Delphi for native Windows development...:-)

It is interesting that very little of Microsoft's own commercial applications are written in .net isn't it? I guess they don't even like their own dog food...
Mark Send private email
Wednesday, December 26, 2007

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics