The Design of Software (CLOSED)

A public forum for discussing the design of software, from the user interface to the code architecture. Now closed.

The "Design of Software" discussion group has been merged with the main Joel on Software discussion group.

The archives will remain online indefinitely.

Include SQL Sever Express in Installer or point to MS website

My software works with SQL server and where the customer does not have one they can install the free sql server express.

Do I include SSE in my installer as a feature or just point the customer to a link on the MS website. It also raises the question of if I should bundle the 2.0 framework as well.

It is b2b software sold to the hr departments of small organisations and will mostly be delivered on disk though most customers will download it as well.

Would appreciate any thoughts.

Cheers
Jeff
Tuesday, November 13, 2007

I would point the to the MS site.  I don't know if MS allows you to distribute express.  Also if they change the licensing agreement then you won't be in a legal bind.
JimK Send private email
Wednesday, November 14, 2007

I won't claim to know anything about the licensing, but I do know that I have a software package (ESRI's ArcGIS 9.2) which includes SQL Server Express 2005 on the installation DVD...for whatever that's worth.  It's an optional install, launched seperately from the main software package.
jburka Send private email

Yes, you can redistribute SQL Server Express. Google for "sql server express redistributable". But I don't think that's what the OP is asking about.

I think it depends on your medium, your product, and your users. The less tech savvy they are the more I would be inclined to include it. The closer your product comes to "clickware for the masses" the more inclined I would be to include it. I would NOT include it for enterprise products that are likely to be installed by an IT staff anyway.
anon

We include SSE in our product, and our installer gives the user the option of installing it or not.  Many of our users already have a full SQL Server installation they will install our DB into but our smaller clients do not.

Having the DB on our install CD just makes life easier for everyone.

I'd recommend including it.
Karl Perry Send private email

It is redistributable.  I do it. (I include it in my install.)

I think if your users are not knowledgeable, installing it will kill lots of them.  On, the other hand, including it may kill you!

If I were doing it again, I'd look harder for a db I could embed.
Joe Landau Send private email

"If I were doing it again, I'd look harder for a db I could embed. "

Like SQL Server Compact Edition? But it sounds like the OP has a multi-user product that indeed needs an actual database server. So SQL Server Express is probably a decent option. And like all server based databases, you will need to decide whether or not including the installer is reasonable in your context.
anon

"On, the other hand, including it may kill you!"

Can you please say some more about this. What should I be worried about here.

Thanks
Jeff

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics