The Design of Software (CLOSED)

A public forum for discussing the design of software, from the user interface to the code architecture. Now closed.

The "Design of Software" discussion group has been merged with the main Joel on Software discussion group.

The archives will remain online indefinitely.

Implement Google Conversion Tracking

I am considering adding google conversion to our web site to track downloads. My goal here is to track complete downloads, not those who pressed "Cancel" buttons. I can do it in the server side by checking if the EOF is reached. However, it seems that google tracking is done in the client side. Is it possible to get the download completion event from the browser? Or it is simply to accurately get such information?
Glitch
Sunday, November 11, 2007

There are a variety of technical issues which make it almost impossible for you to get the information you seek in that fashion. 

The easiest work-around is to make two conversions, one for starting the download and then one validating successful install and execution of the app (how you do that is up to you).  Then you can use your statistics and a bit of guesswork to figure out roughly what percentage of downloads run to completion.

Also remember that absolute accuracy is not the world's most important thing when tracking conversions.  If errors are distributed roughly randomly, then even if the numbers you are seeing (1,000 visitors aa day) are off by quite a bit, when you do something and see an improvement (1,200 visitors a day) you can have reasonable confidence that whatever you did worked.
Patrick McKenzie (Bingo Card Creator) Send private email
Monday, November 12, 2007

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics