The Design of Software (CLOSED)

A public forum for discussing the design of software, from the user interface to the code architecture. Now closed.

The "Design of Software" discussion group has been merged with the main Joel on Software discussion group.

The archives will remain online indefinitely.

Java UI starting kit

It's true, I'm not a UI lover. I hate to design HTML forms and the user interfaces of any software.
Infact I can't even bother web sites :-D
So I decided that I like more the use of Java+webservices than a real website oriented application (aka web-application).

But it's really hard to design a nice UI with java, even if java 1.5 has a ne L&F (who cares ?:-D).
I've studied a while those "grid layouts" and similar in java and, gosh, that's hard man! :)

The question is, should I make myself a kind of easy-to-design UI in java or anyone can suggest a nice book / site ?

Thanks
Jul Send private email
Sunday, January 09, 2005

look nto SWT.
fool for python
Sunday, January 09, 2005

SWT ?
Do you mean the Standard Widget Toolkit ?
Well infact I was looking for something more "interesting" than knowing each usable element of the swt.
Knowing wich events has an element does'nt mean I know how to use them in a larger view..
Jul Send private email
Monday, January 10, 2005

Why don't you use win32 as the front-end for your java web services?

Then you could use Delphi, VB6, wxWidgets + C++/or any other language, or (uggh) .Net Winforms to do the UI.
Wayne Send private email
Monday, January 10, 2005

Because I need to "port" it on other platforms.
Jul Send private email
Monday, January 10, 2005

Have a look at:
  http://www.jgoodies.com/

They have a number of free utils for swing. The best is there layout manager. Learning a the use of a grid layout is a must - they can be hard to use effectively but give JForms a look.

Getting the layout sorted, in my experince, is one the key elements in making the user interface look "right".
anon
Monday, January 10, 2005

Check out the Eclipse project Visual Editor:

http://www.eclipse.org/vep/

I believe it can generate either Swing or SWT.... I haven't had a chance to try it out yet, but looks pretty nice.

---Seeker
Seeker Send private email
Monday, January 10, 2005

"I've studied a while those "grid layouts" and similar in java and, gosh, that's hard man! :)"

You are weak.

Seriously, there's a whole bunch of Java GUI builders (Eclipse VEP was mentioned, also NetBeans comes with one, search for more... http://www.javalobby.org/forums/search.jspa?forceEmptySearch=true&forumID=17&q=builder )

But you'll be better off going through a Swing tutorial and learning what the hell happens there, it's not hard, and it'll make you stronger.

Btw, I wouldn't worry about SWT, it's not any easier than Swing to learn. JGoodies is a good idea, especially look for FormLayout to aleviate your Layoutfobia).
genius
Monday, January 10, 2005

JGoodis has also nice Look and Feel for java (i think it was aqua look...)
IJ
Tuesday, January 11, 2005

Use .NET and call web services - LOL

Java UI is horrible and hope Sun learns a few things from Microsoft on this.

People like me want to get solutions out to our customers looking for features, not spending hours looking coding <TR>'s and <TD>'s  ;)

Wednesday, January 12, 2005

Let's see - .NET...

Datagrid.DataSource = myDataSet;
Datagrid.DataBind();

Can't get much easier than that - lol

How many lines of java does that take?

Wednesday, January 12, 2005

Perhaps this will help:

http://www.sun.com/2005-0111/feature/

Anyone with experience using this?
C#Bigot Send private email
Thursday, January 13, 2005

anyone?

Thursday, January 13, 2005

Anon,

myTable.setModel(myTableModel);

Did you have a point?
genius
Friday, January 14, 2005

myDataSet.WriteXml()?

Friday, January 14, 2005

what's a table model?  :)

Friday, January 14, 2005

is it a typed dataset from a xml schema that is a class?  xml based?

DataAdapter.Fill(myDataSet);  ?

Just seems so simple, let's you concentrate more on the business problem.

I'd like to learn more java, but I don't find it very intuitive when it comes to rendering in a web page.

ie. I don't want to write <td> and <tr> 's - let the Frontpage and scripters to it - me, I want to get my data in my 3 tier environment and hand my data filled datagrid to some artsy web person to change colors and fonts.

I do think .net server controls are basically servlets - but the prebuilt and easy to modify, inherit from datagrids with templates make it soooo much easier to work with. So, it's not really the language mind you, it's the intuitiveness of the language in relation to the objects they supply and how easily you can extend them - surely if I worked with java everyday I'm sure I'd discover these hidden things.

I think that Java Server Faces technology might help - I've seen Sun release that new tool to help catch up the tools with what Microsoft has provided.

It's too bad Microsoft .NET isn't more friendly with non-Microsoft, and it's too bad Sun's java isn't more friendly to the web developers with good out of the box controls that are highly extensible  :)

Friday, January 14, 2005

" Check out the Eclipse project Visual Editor:

http://www.eclipse.org/vep/

I believe it can generate either Swing or SWT.... I haven't had a chance to try it out yet, but looks pretty nice."

You'd think a company selling a visual interface tool would at least post a screenshot....

LOL

Saturday, January 15, 2005

As a non-Java person (this is same anon as above btw), I definitely see a future in JSF.

Take a look here:

http://www.oracle.com/technology/products/jdev/101/collateral/101/jsfdesign/index.html

Saturday, January 15, 2005

But the Eclipse VE is not a GUI designer, but a tool to create GUI designers ?

"The Eclipse Visual Editor project is a framework for creating GUI builders for Eclipse"
J Send private email
Saturday, January 22, 2005

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics