The Design of Software (CLOSED)

A public forum for discussing the design of software, from the user interface to the code architecture. Now closed.

The "Design of Software" discussion group has been merged with the main Joel on Software discussion group.

The archives will remain online indefinitely.

LAMP or J2EE

I have a customer that want a website pretty much built up from scratch. By checking the requirements he needs several user management, lot of customization of the site per user, intensive database handling, easy website administration, on-line payments, lots of AJAX, etc, etc.

He also wants to provide services to third party companies (smells a lot like he wants to expose Web Services for certain components).

For some reason he is stuck with using LAMP, specifically he wants to use Drupal. I know my way around PHP but have never built something this big and complex. Have never used Drupal either.

Is this something that PHP/Drupal can handle or should I just try to steer him into using J2EE and related frameworks/technologies
EdNoWeb
Friday, October 26, 2007

Meant to say, never build up this big WITH PHP
EdNoWeb
Friday, October 26, 2007

I see nothing in the requirements that would lead me to choose either PHP or J2EE on that basis alone. Either will work if the development talent is there and won't work if it isn't. Choose based on available talent, taking into account long-term maintenance. If the client is a PHP shop and plans to maintain the site themselves, it should be built in PHP.

Whether Drupal can be made to do what the client wants is another matter. I'm not qualified to answer that.
clcr
Friday, October 26, 2007

Ask him why he picked Drupal, he might of just heard it is good. If you can get away with it something PHP5 would be better to use as interfaces/type hinting and abstract classes etc  are very handy for big stuff.
pgb
Friday, October 26, 2007

Drupal does that stuff out of the box.  I'd wager that with 1-2 hours of config and tweaking that you'd have an 80% solution.
KC Send private email
Monday, October 29, 2007

"Drupal does that stuff out of the box.  I'd wager that with 1-2 hours of config and tweaking that you'd have an 80% solution." -- KC
And how many years for the remaining 20%?
Troels Knak-Nielsen Send private email
Saturday, November 03, 2007

Well, with over 1000 add-on modules, probably not much more than a fraction of a year.  Reasonable question to ask, though, as the 20% might be easier... or really, really much harder... to do in Drupal than in some J2EE equivalent. But it's going to be hard to know that ahead of time. :)
Loaf of Paint
Sunday, November 04, 2007

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics