The Design of Software (CLOSED)

A public forum for discussing the design of software, from the user interface to the code architecture. Now closed.

The "Design of Software" discussion group has been merged with the main Joel on Software discussion group.

The archives will remain online indefinitely.

Multi-language support for VB6 app?

We're researching tools for taking our VB6 app suite multi-lingual.  A quick Google search on "multiple language VB" turns up a zillion tools.

What do y'all use, and why do you think the one you use is the best?

TIA,
Karl Perry Send private email
Tuesday, October 23, 2007

We added Unicode & regionalization to our VB6 app at a previous job.

My advice to you would be to switch to VB.NET.
It'll be easier.  Trust me.
xampl Send private email
Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Switching to VB.Net would be an 18-month project for us.  It's on the drawing board but not for longer into the future than we can wait for this.

Care to share a few specific issues you encountered?  Did you use a tool for this?
Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Yes, VB.NET would be easier but for the existing VB6...

[1] Make sure you have Unicode support and develop on a machine and OS that supports multilanguage (Win2000, XP, Vista)

[2] Better than just going totally international, it'd be better to know which specific countries you first want to target.

[3] Install the desired languages from Regional Options in Control Panel. Know that the languages can be divided into several "groups" according to similarity so :- English, French, German, Dutch would belong to the same group - Japanese, Korean, Chinese belongs to another group requireing 32-bit Kanji character unicode support, Arabic is another group and Thai (Sanskrit) belongs to its own separate group altogether/

[4] MAKE SURE you have the keyboards that support the different languages you want to use (and the translators!)

[5] Try using the resource file (.res) in VB to make sure the menu strings are being displayed properly. Make sure you have a menu choice to switch to anoter language.

[6] If you are accessing a database, make sure your database supports the languages you desire and is able to store it.

[7] Use the MS-Arial Unicode font in all your forms - it is able to display in the different languages.

[8] When you select from the Font property for each control there is a dropdown called  Script. Make sure you use the right script set.

[9] You may need to cut-and-paste language translations. I find MS-Word useful.

I did a multilingual program in English, Japanese/Chinese and German some time ago in VB6 and Access 97. Works fine. I translated my accounting software (some portions anyway) into Arabic before that...works fine. No problems. YOu may need to do some trade-off. For example, since in Arabic everything is left to right and we had already done everything right to left, we left it as is..the consultant told us it wouldn't matter to the Arabs.
Ezani Send private email
Thursday, October 25, 2007

Sorry, I left out an important method I used. The english version and their other language equivalents I stored in a table which I linked to the various Label controls (for headers) I had on my VB6 forms. During Form_Load(), I checked the language being used and accessed the Access database table to find the right translation.
Ezani Send private email

Sorry, another point. You'll be testing the language display a lot on the VB forms when you run the program. Before you do this, you must switch to the relevant language set IN THE WINDOWS O/S FIRST and check that the languages are first being displayed properly in Windows.
Ezani Send private email

Ezani,

Thanks for your insight.

A question about Unicode.  Our initial translations will be US English, German, Spanish and French.  We have no plans to translate our VB6 suite into Arabic, Hindi, Chinese or Japanese.  We will plan for that when we refactor into .Net in 2009.  Given this, is Unicode support a must to support those European languages?

Second issue: you touched on "... make sure your database supports the languages you desire and is able to store it."

I've been concerned about this.  We have a lot of tables in our system that have "Code" and "Description" fields.  For example, inventory part IDs and their descriptions.  We use SQL Server.  Is there any mechanism in SQL Server to add a "third dimension" to a field to allow storage of a language-specific value?  Or do companies as a rule limit their translations to form elements only?

No, Unicode is not a must for these languages, you can use code pages for them.

As for the database, best way is to have a separate database for a culture. Of course, if you plan to use more then one language in the same environment than it would be a problem.
Goran Burcevski Send private email
Saturday, October 27, 2007

Karl,

Goran is right - you don't need Unicode for the Romanized based languages because as I have pointed earlier, they belong to the same group as English.

SQL Server supports multilanguage so you don't have to worry. I'm assuming you have to switch language in one app so you will need separate database columns to store the terms in the individual languages besides English, than read off the correct column with an SQL WHERE clause.

If you are commercializing separate full versions of the app in individual languages, than you can make multiple structure copies of the same database but store the data in the languages concerned.

You can start off with reading Localization and International Coding in the Microsoft Knowledge Base.
Ezani Send private email
Monday, October 29, 2007

I have a copy of this book you can have for the shipping cost.  Still have the CD too.  I'm in the Washington DC area.  Email me if you're interested.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/0672319772
Mark Jerde Send private email
Monday, October 29, 2007

Have you considered http://www.whippleware.com/vblm.htm yet?
Codger
Sunday, November 04, 2007

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics