The Design of Software (CLOSED)

A public forum for discussing the design of software, from the user interface to the code architecture. Now closed.

The "Design of Software" discussion group has been merged with the main Joel on Software discussion group.

The archives will remain online indefinitely.

Refactoring tool (not VS.NET)

I'm using VS6 and switching to VS.NET is currently not an option for me (and my company).

Is there any refactoring tools for VS6 (or maybe stand alone)?

Thanks.
Jack Send private email
Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Oh my god, that is really awful. Still using VS6 I mean.

I don't think I could go back to that.
Entries of Confusion Send private email

There was a thing called Visual Assist back in the day, but I don't know if it is still available.

While its not a refactoring tool, you ARE using mztools, right?

BTW, Entries of Confusion,  can you explain exactly what was so awful about vb6?  I've used it, and it did what I needed it to do. I've never understood the sheer HATE it receives.

I suspect it's just because of the name "BASIC".
Jeanne P. Send private email

@Jeanne P.
Perhaps you should read my post again.

I didn't even mention VB.

I too loved VB and used it every day for many years, but it is now confined to the past, as I use C# now.

Of course, I'm using Visual Assist - this is what keeps this 10 years old application still usable today.

I tried Eclipse, but, as far as I've seen (and read in forums), its C support is much less impressive than Java. And I feel very uncomfortable running code editor which takes hundreds of megabytes of RAM (VS6 takes 25MB with the workspace loaded and way faster).

I develop embedded firmware. I don't need all the .NET bells and whistles and VS6+VA is just fine.

A refactoring tool is all that's missing.
Jack Send private email
Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Resharper is great; it was written for C# but no supports VB.NET.
Brian Leach Send private email

Oops -- Resharper requires VS.NET. I'll shut up now.
Brian Leach Send private email

Current versions of Visual Assist X have some refactoring capability (I use it regularly, under VS2003 and VS2005, but it works equally well with VC6 I believe).

It might be worth you giving it a try, at least.
Anna-Jayne Metcalfe Send private email

The OP mentioned VS 6 but not VB 6. Therefore, I must assume that the language in question is C++.

In that case, I think you're out of luck; C++ is a very refactoring unfriendly language, and I didn't know of any such tools back when VS 6 was in common use. Any new such developments would be running on VS.NET at this point.
Chris Tavares Send private email

Refactoring tools for C++ are pretty poor. Even worse for VS6. One thing you might try is SlickEdit. I haven't tried it for a while, but I seem to recall that it plays nicely with VS projects.
Ryan Ginstrom
Thursday, October 25, 2007

grep and sed
Jussi Jumppanen
Monday, November 19, 2007

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics