The Design of Software (CLOSED)

A public forum for discussing the design of software, from the user interface to the code architecture. Now closed.

The "Design of Software" discussion group has been merged with the main Joel on Software discussion group.

The archives will remain online indefinitely.

Buying UML & ERD tools?

I'm starting as a contracter on project, working online from home. The boss is happy to spend a reasonable amount on tools for design - i.e we can't afford Rational Rose but something in the <$1000 range is OK.

We've been looking at Visual Paradigm's UML tool, the features are good and the versions mean that as the designer I can get a pro license, while those using but not altering the UML can make do with a cheaper version - a very affordable option.
But is this tool one which is any good? And if not what would be recommended?

On the DB side, what is a good ERD tool? Probably we'll use MSSQL Server if that makes much difference. Stability and good import/export functionality are top priorities to me. Again, Visual Paradigm do such a tool but what would other designers recommend we look at?
John
Saturday, October 20, 2007

I like ArgoUML/Poseidon for UML ... it's really improved over the last few releases and it's Java, so it will run anywhere.  I've also used Umbrello and Rose.  For ER diagrams, I'm not sure there's anything better than ERWin.
Steve Moyer Send private email

John,

I now use ArgoUML cause I am cheap and very very small, but in a previous life I used "Enterprise Architect" from Sparx Systems and it kicked but even generating code from the diagrams (forward engineering) or generatin diagrams from the code (Java, C, C++) It has a Visual Studio integration if you have that as well!

It is a nice tool!
Paul A. Fortin Send private email

I've been using Enterprise Architect for the past couple years and it takes a little while to get used to but then it is really nice. If you have very large projects with many documents I would recommend it. If you just want to make simple ERD or UML diagrams, something else might be better.
J Phillips Send private email
Sunday, October 21, 2007

DEBEDb Send private email
Tuesday, October 23, 2007

ModelRight (www.modelright.com) is an excellent ERD tool.
Dan P
Wednesday, October 24, 2007

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics