The Design of Software (CLOSED)

A public forum for discussing the design of software, from the user interface to the code architecture. Now closed.

The "Design of Software" discussion group has been merged with the main Joel on Software discussion group.

The archives will remain online indefinitely.

Interface Design

Hey, I'm working on a page and would like some comments:

Page

* Insert Data *

Field1
Field2

OkButton

---------------

That's the basic Layout. Now my question is, when the user clicks the OkButton, the data is inserted into the database and a message appears "Record Inserted".

Should I also show the filled Form when the Introduction is correct?

Thanks.
Transformers
Friday, October 19, 2007

Depends. I wouldn't show the filled data back to the user, I'd rather take him to the next stage in the application.whatever it is. Just show a positive response "Information received" and take the user to the next stage.

However, you might wanna take a closer look and see if theres really a need for the user to see what he entered.
Askar Zaidi Send private email
Friday, October 19, 2007

What you can do when the user clicks on the OK button is as follows:

1. Validate the entries and make sure they follow the established business rules. Reposition the cursor to the field with an incorrect value. For example in Delphi (using the JVCL components) and C# you can display an error indicator beside the erring field.

2. Once all the fields are valid, commit the values to the database and display a message to the user confirming that everything went OK and then proceed to the next step which can be closing the detail window or prompting the user for another set of values. Depends on you really.
Phillip Flores Send private email
Saturday, October 20, 2007

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics