The Design of Software (CLOSED)

A public forum for discussing the design of software, from the user interface to the code architecture. Now closed.

The "Design of Software" discussion group has been merged with the main Joel on Software discussion group.

The archives will remain online indefinitely.

Multi platform scripting

I need to find a scripting language that can be used across a number of different in-browser environments: Actionscript/Flex/Flash, Silverlight and Java.

I'd ideally also like the scripts written in this language to be runnable in a server environment too.

Now I'd prefer to use Javascript, but calling out from an object to a script that then calls back to the same object to do things looks like it may be problematical in some of these platforms.

I'm contemplating writing an interpreter for a Javascript-like language in each of these - but I'd really rather not if I can get away with it.
Anon for this
Monday, October 15, 2007

Perl is pretty good at multi-platform.

Let the religious wars, begin!
AllanL5
Monday, October 15, 2007

Well, perl is certainly an interesting idea...

This is for an interactive graphical application that has some basic scripting requirements - it doesn't require anything too complex! Download size of the language runtime and performance are probably the most important factors.
Anon for this
Monday, October 15, 2007

I'd go with JavaScript and see if the problems you anticipate are actually going to be problems. Writing your own is fraught with issues, and you'll wind up running into the same problems that the people who wrote the publicly available languages have already tackled.
Chris Winters Send private email
Monday, October 15, 2007

I assume you are writing code in "some language" and then calling JS (scripting) code from that as you mentionted "object". If so C++ plays well with JS, as no doubt do other languages. I certainly wouldn't be writing yet another language, the programming world already has too many.
Neville Franks Send private email
Monday, October 15, 2007

> it doesn't require anything too complex!
> Download size of the language runtime and performance are > >  probably the most important factors.

These requirements are best met by Lua (www.lua.org).
Louis Brandon
Wednesday, October 17, 2007

Thanks Louis - Lua looks very interesting! It seems quite popular as an extension language for games - which probably means it will be a good match for what I had in mind.
Anon for this
Wednesday, October 17, 2007

This turned out to be interesting - Lua looks good but then I found that Python has a VM based runtime so I'm going to compare a few of these "standard" languages for this.
Anon for this
Thursday, October 18, 2007

1. Ruby
2. Python
3. Perl

my preferences....
Serge Merzliakov
Friday, October 19, 2007

Oops! Sorry did not read OP......ignore my list
Serge Merzliakov
Friday, October 19, 2007

Lua is a much simpler language than Python - language wise I prefer Python, however Lua is (imho) much easier to embed and is extremely fast. (I am a Python fan, at heart)

In my (Amature Game Framework) project, I run multiple Lua VM's concurrently, and have been very impressed with it so far. That would not have been possible with Python without hacks (Python uses a few globals that make running multiple concurrent VM's difficult)
Arafangion Send private email
Sunday, October 28, 2007

How did so many of us go so far away from the original OP's question?  I blame all of you for distracting me! ;)

Mind you, "multi-platform" implies running on platforms, not merely browsers - would've been better to say "cross-browser" instead.

For scripting in web browsers, use JavaScript! It's practically the ONLY choice for in-browser scripting.
Arafangion Send private email
Sunday, October 28, 2007

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics