The Design of Software (CLOSED)

A public forum for discussing the design of software, from the user interface to the code architecture. Now closed.

The "Design of Software" discussion group has been merged with the main Joel on Software discussion group.

The archives will remain online indefinitely.

Affordable ER Diagram Tool

Does anybody have a recomendation for an affordable (<300) or free ER Diagramming tool that is compatible with sql server?

I really only need to pull, format, and print the ER Diagram of an existing SQL 2000 database.  But without print preview, getting something that looks decent out of SQL Servers built in tool may cost the world 3 trees in paper.
Aaron Smith Send private email
Sunday, October 14, 2007

Enterprise Architect is pretty good:

http://www.sparxsystems.com.au/products/index.html
Arethuza
Sunday, October 14, 2007

Visio?

Although I would not consider it even close to Erwin.
Christopher M. Holmes Send private email
Sunday, October 14, 2007

+1 for Enterprise Architect
and +0.5 for Visio (if you already have it, use it, but don't buy it just for it's ER diagram capabilities)

Sunday, October 14, 2007

If you want cheap, how about using the diagramming tool in SQL itself? Then you can copy and paste it into something else (Word even) and print it out.

I note you mention SQL 2000, and seem to remember the copy function didn't work then, but you can always point the 2005 Management Studio at it, and use that. You can use the free one if you don't have the 2005 version yet.
Entries of Confusion Send private email
Monday, October 15, 2007

Enterprise Architect looks great!

Thanks for your suggestions everyone.
Aaron Send private email
Monday, October 15, 2007

Toad Data Modeler one of the best I've seen and simple.

http://www.quest.com/Toad-Data-Modeler/
Developer
Wednesday, October 17, 2007

DEBEDb Send private email
Tuesday, October 23, 2007

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics