The Design of Software (CLOSED)

A public forum for discussing the design of software, from the user interface to the code architecture. Now closed.

The "Design of Software" discussion group has been merged with the main Joel on Software discussion group.

The archives will remain online indefinitely.

New site

I have just had the site re-designed by someone else.. did I waste my money?
http://www.widgetplus.com
Mikael Bergkvist Send private email
Tuesday, October 09, 2007

It depends...how much did you pay?
John Topley Send private email

About 2000, slightly less.

Why is "about us" front row center? Put the "Widget" button more prominently.

Maybe short descriptions next to the widgets? What's a drizzler?
my name is here

Can't say I find the site particularly appealing and hard to see where $2K would have gone. I find the colors dark and gloomy. http://next.widgetbox.com/galleryhome/ is way better.

You need more clear content that describes what you are offering and why people would want it.

The site seems slow, took ages to load the 97 sample widgets. No instructions about what to do once the demo is loaded. Offends people who use IE. No way to get from the demo page to the home page etc. Samples are so slow as to be useless.

The "About Us" doesn't tell me anything about you.

Finally this thread belongs over on BoS, not here.
Neville Franks Send private email

Sorry about that.

"Finally this thread belongs over on BoS, not here."

Possibly, but I think that the design of a website is a legitimate topic within the subject of The Design of Software.
John Topley Send private email
Wednesday, October 10, 2007

There are so many problems with that site, that it isn't worth $20.00, let alone $2000. You got gouged, I'm afraid.

The colours are terrible, the menu across the top moves as you hover over different items (this is really amateurish, and very 1990's).

Also, the tooltips for the menu down the left side are partially off-screen and appear in different places, depending where you hover. Move the mouse over the left menu in a circular motion, as if deciding which to click, and you will see what I mean.

When you click on a menu item, the focus rectangle is partially obscured, which is not impressive.

I'm using Firefox 2, so don't know about IE, but it is very slow and the stacking order doesn't work as I'd expect.

As you asked, yes you wasted your money. Did you not get design comps? Did you not test this yourself before asking for comments?

It all seems very amateurish to me and not worth any money, let alone $2k.
Entries of Confusion Send private email

I did test it, but I'm taking this 'upstairs' and I'm grateful for these comments, agreeing with me as they do.

That's one of the crappiest looking home pages I have ever seen.
Greg Send private email

I doubt that, but it wasn't worth the money, that's for sure, and now he's dabbling with it all the time, trying to 'fix it'.
..I dont know..

@Mikael
Sometimes you have to know when to pull the plug.

Just tell your supplier you are underwhelmed by their egregious efforts and you want your money back. Talk to your lawyer if they give excuses, or just write it off, if you can (ideally). In any case, don't waste any more time on this loser. Life is way too short for that kind of game.

In the meantime, hire someone competent. Don't bother trying to salvage what you have, it isn't worth it and would be easier to start again, imho.
Entries of Confusion Send private email

I think I'm going to take your advice on this one, thanks.

Ok...how would anyone re-design the website in question to become a 'world beater' ?
Ezani Send private email
Thursday, October 25, 2007

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics