The Design of Software (CLOSED)

A public forum for discussing the design of software, from the user interface to the code architecture. Now closed.

The "Design of Software" discussion group has been merged with the main Joel on Software discussion group.

The archives will remain online indefinitely.

How Do I Design a WSS Development Environment?

I am an ASP.NET developer, so I am confortable developing on my local machine running IIS, and then deploying code to a development "server". Both my local development and the development server point to the same development database.

Now, onto SharePoint. Our project manager ran off and bought some consultancy with a company who have set us up a development application server and a dev DB server, which is great, but I am not sure how to go about developing against this.

Do I need an installation of WSS on my local development machine, which is where I actually do my work? If I have a local WSS install, should I point it at the dev DB server, or have a local DB instance?

I would be very grateful of any help with laying out the initial architecture.

Many thanks!
Matt Send private email
Monday, October 08, 2007

Here's a good place to start:

http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/sharepoint/default.aspx

You should be able to find enough introductory info to get you going.
*myName
Monday, October 08, 2007

Matt -

I am going to assume that you are the only developer for this project (Or you are the main, and outside help will be minimal).

WSS requires a server-level OS, so If your dev machine is Win2K3, you should be good to go, if not, you need a separate server. I would place the db remote on a dedicated db server (In the SharePoint world you shouldn't play in the databases any how). Put Visual Studio on the machine that has WSS installed.

That's all there is. You'll notice that this is different from vanilla ASP.NET development because Visual Studio is installed on a server. Check out my homepage though, I've got a few lessons learned the hard way. :)
John Miller Send private email
Monday, October 08, 2007

I agree with John except for the separate server piece. You can easily do development within a VPC (Virtual PC/Server, VMWare, etc) and keep your development machine on XP or whatever.

That of course assumes you have a decent amount of RAM (2048 MB+)

Monday, October 08, 2007

Thanks for the comments guys. I am the only (or maybe one of two) developers on this project, so I think a virtual PC installation of WSS is the way to go.

I'm sure I will have plenty more SharePoint related questions going forwards!

Cheers

Matt
Matt Send private email
Tuesday, October 09, 2007

Andrew Connell's blog has great info on WSS and MOSS.  He is a Microsoft MVP and a big believer in VMWare products.  I also highly recommend VMWare.  Workstation 6 is very intuitive to use, performs great, and is not expensive at $189.00.  Although VPC is free I have chosen to go with VMWare for development and testing.

http://www.andrewconnell.com/blog/archive/2007/09/30/6124.aspx
Andre Oporto Send private email
Tuesday, October 09, 2007

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics