The Design of Software (CLOSED)

A public forum for discussing the design of software, from the user interface to the code architecture. Now closed.

The "Design of Software" discussion group has been merged with the main Joel on Software discussion group.

The archives will remain online indefinitely.

Dear Mr Spolsky...

...I seem to have started the longest known thread on JoS. Please confirm that I will be receiving my free lifelong support for FogBUGZ, which I believe is the prize.
Mike MacSween
Thursday, January 06, 2005

Yet another anon

Damn, nowhere near! I didn't realize there were actually stats for this. Failed again
Mike MacSween

Well, you're close to the top 10, though. Throw in a few posts like "VB programmers are feeble" or "only a schmuck learns C++", and that should put you over the top.
NetFreak Send private email

Great idea, do you think it'll work? Funny, I agree with both those statements, as it happens :)

As it's a database thread I thought I might try - 'relational databases are dead, object relational databases are the way of the future'. And copy it to Fabian Pascal. I didn't really do enough fireworks on bonfire night.
Mike MacSween

Gosh, you're lucky he doesn't kick you OFF the forum, instead of rewarding you!

Personally, I don't like long threads.  Once they pass 50 or so, I figure it's all been said.
AllanL5

I'd like to know more about OO DB's. They've been on my "I must figure out what this is all about" list for ages.

I enjoyed your thread, actually. I'd estimate at least half of the "oh God we could NEVER change that" things in our system (and I'd guess most big systems) are a direct result of improperly applied normalization - in both directions (too much AND too little).

'I'd like to know more about OO DB's. They've been on my "I must figure out what this is all about" list for ages.'

Me too. But I have a huge 'must investigate what x, y and z are all about' list. OO DBs are on there somewhere. But fairly low down.

'I enjoyed your thread, actually.'

Oh it's not really my thread. So many people have contributed. I'd like to thank my fellow posters, my agent, my director, key grip, best boy, and all the talented talented people who have supported me, my parents for bringing me into the world...

'I'd estimate at least half of the "oh God we could NEVER change that" things in our system (and I'd guess most big systems) are a direct result of improperly applied normalization - in both directions (too much AND too little).'

The instant I hear a client say - 'oh we'll never want to change that', or 'there will only ever be one x for every y' (rep per company, address per customer, etc. etc.) is the instant I put a note in my diary six months hence saying 'client will call today asking for multiple reps per company' or 'client will call today asking to change product codes'. The more firmly they insist something will NEVER change the more likely it is to happen.
Mike MacSween

NetFreak,

I've written a sort of relational database container for runtime objects, which you might like (just click my name to get to the demo on my website).

It's not really an "object database" in the sense that most people mean, but if you're interested in object-oriented programming and in database programming, you might enjoy my cheeky little program.

I'd appreciate any feedback on it, too.
Kalani Send private email

To me OODB means something along the lines of being able to say 'object.Save()' and have it magically persist to the DB without having to write a bunch of SQL code and overlapping (between the DB and your code) definitions etc. etc. Sort of like what serialization does but of course there is way more to it than that. Maybe I am totally out to lunch on this, but it's always seemed to me astounding how much mindless almost boilerplate code you have to produce (write or hopefully to some extent generate) just to interact with the database.

NetFreak, depending on your platform and circumstances you might be able to save yourself some of the long term mindless tedium with some short term mindless tedium. Have you considered an ORM solution?
Andrew Cherry Send private email
Friday, January 07, 2005

Just call me Joel. Heck, I've been called worse ;-)
Mr SpolskyFog Creek Software
Tuesday, January 11, 2005

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics