The Design of Software (CLOSED)

A public forum for discussing the design of software, from the user interface to the code architecture. Now closed.

The "Design of Software" discussion group has been merged with the main Joel on Software discussion group.

The archives will remain online indefinitely.

Transferring Data Between Main Databse and ODS

We have a large MSSQL 2005 master database and serveral smaller operational data sources that feed from the master database. We are debating on whether to transfer data from that master database using SSIS or custom services. Can anyone offer any advise on how to decide between the given choices?

I believe that SSIS is an OK solution as long as we're doing a straight data transfer, but I prefer a custom application/service in those cases where we may need some business logic in the transfer process.
ScottC Send private email
Sunday, September 23, 2007

SSIS also allows you to do some processing, although I wouldn't recommend to creating anything too complex in SSIS. Simple (row) filtering is certainly doable.

If you foresee a lot of custom rules in the data transfer I would go for the custom services. Although I would probably also recheck my design, for ideally I would keep ODS data models as close as possible to the main DB data model, which should not require more than some filters in the data transfer.
Marc Jacobi Send private email
Tuesday, September 25, 2007

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics