The Design of Software (CLOSED)

A public forum for discussing the design of software, from the user interface to the code architecture. Now closed.

The "Design of Software" discussion group has been merged with the main Joel on Software discussion group.

The archives will remain online indefinitely.

Design shootout: iPhoto vs Flickr

iPhoto is said to be one of the better photo management applications out there.

I am not so sure about this though.

I have found that organizing photos in groups, setting photo titles, and descriptions to be a task that takes more steps than it should and is not intuitive.

Recently I uploaded some large photosets to flickr, set them up, then later imported the same sets into iPhoto.

Flickr was not only easier to use, but it was faster at importing the photos across an internet connection than iPhoto was at importing the same photos from a folder on the local hard drive.

Running inside a web browser, through a broadband connection! Faster and more agile than a native app with files stored on the hard drive? Yes.

Maybe there is something to this notion that Web 2.0 apps will replace the desktop - even for photo editing.
Scott
Thursday, September 20, 2007

I love looking at other people's stuff on Flickr, but I gave up on posting to it myself. For one thing I could never get their uploader thingie (the one you actually install) to work at all. I also had hassles with passwords after the whole Yahoo thing.

My photo pal swears by Picassa. I mostly use Adobe, which is barely tolerable (awfully slow and cumbersome to do the simple things that I want to do).
Greg Send private email

Well, I guess everybody's experiences are different, but:

1. Most of my Mac-using friends consider iPhoto as a "barely adequate" photo-management application. If it didn't come preinstalled on new Macs, I doubt very many people would use it.

2. For me, importing photos from a local filesystem into iPhoto is fairly fast. A few days ago, I did an import of 4 Gigabytes of pictures of my niece, and it took just a few minutes. If I was uploading those images to Flickr, they'd probably still be uploading now.

3. I think the Flickr organizer tools are pretty excellent, for being browser-based. They're entirely hopless for sets with more than 100 photos in them, at least for me.

Some fraction of the time, they don't even display correctly in the two browsers I use the most often (IE7 and Safari). Right now, I'm looking at a set with 260 pictures in Flickr, and only half of the photos show in the organizer, and there's no scroll bar visible.
Mark Bessey Send private email

I can only agree RE: iPhoto. It's just not the killer app everyone says it is.

For uploading to the web, there are hybrid solutions like Phanfare, which has an excellent Mac app to organize/label your photos. It then uploads them to the site in the background.

I still do local photo management using QPict. No matter how good the web soutions get, I don't trust a web site to be my main photo repository.
Nate Silva Send private email

Are you talking about the new iPhoto '08, or the older '06 version?

I hated '06, but '08 is more intuitive.
anomalous
Friday, September 21, 2007

iphoto blows compared to picasa for edits.
red eye reduction (which i thought the picasa implementation was a little bit iffy)..looks 1000% better than iphoto - which seems to be just dropping black blobs on whatever you highlighted.

this is the main letdown with my mac so far.
pb&j Send private email
Sunday, September 23, 2007

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics