The Design of Software (CLOSED)

A public forum for discussing the design of software, from the user interface to the code architecture. Now closed.

The "Design of Software" discussion group has been merged with the main Joel on Software discussion group.

The archives will remain online indefinitely.

IVR Diagramming tool: Something better than Visio?

Hi, all.

Part of the hazing ritual for any new full-time IVR developer is to inherit the previous developer's monstrous Visio diagram.  The diagram typically has no color coding, is peppered with vague contents, and weighs in at about ninety billion pages.  It's also either out of date and inaccurate, or up to date and inaccurate.

I have been given the task of updating my beast of a diagram, and am very excited about this insane notion.  Before I dive in, however, is there a better diagramming solution out there, rather than Visio?

Ideally, the tool would allow me to create flowcharts that have some sort of intelligence to them; for example, I could set the "time" to 8:00 PM, and the diagram would now show a different set of options, because the call centers have closed.

A former colleague and I searched for such a tool for about a year, and found nothing but sadness.  I figured I'd ask this group, given the higher quality of posts that I've read, here, compared to elsewhere on the intertron.

Thanks.

Wednesday, September 12, 2007

Microsoft Paint.  ;)
OneMist8k
Wednesday, September 12, 2007

I was looking for something similar, (though possibly far simpler) to document workflow for my support person.

Here is what I found:
www.nevant.com

It's an online service to document flowcharts. It imports from Vision and more importantly (taken from their website), you can create Views:

Because the procedures are described in a structured way (instead of the typical narrative style of MS Word procedures) and data stored in a database, views showing process information from different angles can be generated.
Praveen Angyan Send private email
Thursday, September 13, 2007

Have you looked at Axure? http://www.axure.com/

It has the ability to do dynamic prototyping of wireframes and also has flow diagramming capabilities.
Craig Pickering Send private email
Friday, September 14, 2007

Wow. Axure looks interesting. When I have a bit more time, I'll try it on trial. Bit pricey, however.
Wistar Rinearson
Monday, October 08, 2007

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics