The Design of Software (CLOSED)

A public forum for discussing the design of software, from the user interface to the code architecture. Now closed.

The "Design of Software" discussion group has been merged with the main Joel on Software discussion group.

The archives will remain online indefinitely.

Pasting

Does anyone else find it annoying that when you paste some text from one app to the other, the original formatting is preserved, and not the one of the destination document, which is, after all, where nine times out of ten what you have to switch it to. Paste Special -- Unformatted text is a poor substitute for good old fashioned Ctrl V!
Curtis Erhart Send private email
Thursday, September 06, 2007

Agreed.

Sometimes, I want to copy/paste some code from VS 2005 for my teammates to discuss, but damn Outlook preserves the formatting! So, I am forced to paste to Notepad first and then to Outlook. What a hassle!
asmguru62 Send private email

I was just ranting to myself about this lat week..

Seems obvious to me the default should be the destination formatting. But M$ never seems to ask me. :)
sgf

Kyralessa Send private email

Try the handy tool called PureText - lets you paste just text

http://www.stevemiller.net/puretext
DJ Send private email

DJ and Steve Miller - you have, quite literally, changed my life!!
Syd Send private email

I find it even more annoying when what's pasted is not formatted the same as the destination OR the source, but comes out in a third, completely different style.  Word does this quite a lot; I gather it's what happens when the source document uses a style name that doesn't exist in the destination document.  Yay for Microsoft and their unparalleled productivity tools...
Iago

One nasty bit from Word to Publisher.  Word would auto-tab the start of many of my paragraphs -- until I found the setting to turn this off -- so some paragraphs would start with a tab and some would not.  When I pasted into Publisher, only those paragraphs with tabs would be indented.

Sincerely,

Gene Wirchenko
Gene Wirchenko Send private email

Thanks for the tip, I keep wordpad open 90% of the time to do the Ctrl-C->Ctrl-V->Ctrl-A->Ctrl-X dance...
I'll do it tomorrow... Send private email

I wrote my own program many years ago to do the same thing as PureText. It now forms part of my CV/Resume as sample code so if anyone wants the source code to this type of program feel free to download it.
Adrian
Friday, September 07, 2007

Piling on: this and the requirement to Right-click, Format Picture, Layout, Advanced, uncheck Lock Anchor, move the anchor, Right-Click, Format Picture, Layout, Advanced, check Lock Anchor are my two biggest gripes about Word.  The fact that I have that sequence memorized (didn't have to open Word to type this) is an indicator of the frequency with which I need this function.  Is it really too much to ask that I be able to right-click on the anchor icon and choose "Unlock" or "Lock?"

Did they allow addition to their context menus with Office 2007?  Or add this right-click option to the anchor icon?
Karl Perry Send private email
Saturday, September 08, 2007

My version of outlook has "paste special" which allows me to paste the text without formatting.
DJ Clayworth
Wednesday, September 12, 2007

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics