The Design of Software (CLOSED)

A public forum for discussing the design of software, from the user interface to the code architecture. Now closed.

The "Design of Software" discussion group has been merged with the main Joel on Software discussion group.

The archives will remain online indefinitely.

seeking advice on charity software

Hi,

I wonder if I could seek advice from you. I am currently advising a small charity (in the UK). The basic problem is that they don't have a unified way to manage their many contacts (donors, volunteers, staff, contacts in other charities, the people they help etc). They also need to journal their interactions with these contacts, track any pertinent relationships, record group affiliations, record mailing preferences, giving records etc.

I've looked at various large and small CRM tools but these are very business oriented and often too cumbersome. Highrise, which I like, lacks the specifics for a charity.

There are a few tools I've found (GiftWorks, Metrix, etc) - they just seem to lack things like outlook integration and are quite US oriented.

I've also briefly looked at building something from scratch that will closer meet their needs, but this obviously takes time and would probably cost more.

Does anyone have any experience in this field? Can anyone recommend any software? What would your approach be?

Any guidance would of course be greatly appreciated.
my name is
Thursday, September 06, 2007

http://techsoup.com is a technology site specifically aimed at non-profits
Jason Send private email

Maybe get in touch with VDS ( www.vds.ork.uk ). I worked for them a while ago and their software should cover most of what you are looking for.

Not sure how much they would charge for it, though, but they have done deals with other voluntary organisations (most recently in NI)
Ewan McNab Send private email

Salesforce.com is scalable up and down, and has an edition that integrates with Outlook. You can also create any required charity-specific custom fields.
Mark Pearce Send private email

My wife went to school with this guy.

http://www.thirdsectorsoftware.com
Greg Send private email

For charities, Salesforce gives you some free seats.  That may be an option.  Alternatively, something along the lines of SugarCRM might work for you.
KC Send private email

Thanks for your input. I've just had word that their new Chief Executive is not so sure he wants to spend money on a new database (etc).

Anyhow I'll draft my recommendations and see what they think.

Thanks again.
my name is
Friday, September 07, 2007

Daniel
Friday, September 07, 2007

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics