The Design of Software (CLOSED)

A public forum for discussing the design of software, from the user interface to the code architecture. Now closed.

The "Design of Software" discussion group has been merged with the main Joel on Software discussion group.

The archives will remain online indefinitely.

What control is this?  Ribbon?

Hi Guys,

anyone know what control is the main toolbar..something custom they made or is it the ribbon control that msoffice is using?

http://www.gfx-writer.com/Images/Step1.jpg

is there a Free RibonControl Lookalike?

Does the ribbon control only work with the .net 3.0?
IlikeIt
Sunday, September 02, 2007

It is ribbon. I don't know of any freeware implementations, but there are plenty commercial ones (some are not expensive at all). Most of the implementations are actually WinForms based, not WPF, thought there are a few WPF based ones.
Drazen Dotlic Send private email

It looks like the ribbon, but not a very good use of that UI. There's only one tab, and hardly any controls. Probably should have just been a toolbar, but I guess they wanted it to be trendy.

I wonder if they signed up to the MS agreement to use the ribbon?
Entries of Confusion Send private email

Ribbons are *EVIL*.

I haven't met a user yet who's upgraded to the new 2007 version of Office (Where they were introduced by MS) who hasen't complained bitterly about them.

I'm neutral. It takes a few days to find out where all the old familiar menu items are hiding on the new ribbon. This is not the Ribbon's fault, per se, just the fact that "Hey! Things have changed" and it takes a while to get used to.  Once you get used to 'em, it ain't all that bad, but for casual non-computer-savy users who are used to the old menus ... Every single one I've talked to absolutely loathes 'em.

They're cool eye-candy, but the folks I deal with hate 'em with a passion.
Sgt.Sausage
Thursday, September 06, 2007

I wasn't too keen on the ribbon at first, but after using the new version of word for a few months I am now used to them, and actually quite like them now. It's just takes time to get used too because they are different imho. Not written any code with one yet though.

Steve
Stephen Haunts Send private email
Saturday, September 15, 2007

me
Thursday, September 20, 2007

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics