The Design of Software (CLOSED)

A public forum for discussing the design of software, from the user interface to the code architecture. Now closed.

The "Design of Software" discussion group has been merged with the main Joel on Software discussion group.

The archives will remain online indefinitely.

Auo-linking wiki?

Here's what I want. A Web contnet management system that's something like a wiki, but with an important added feature: it automatically creates its own internal hyperlinks.

Suppose I have a page named Oak. It's all about oak trees. I would like every occurrence of the work Oak on every other page of the site to be a hyperlink to my Oak page. I want this to happen AUTOMATICALLY.

Another feature I'd like: Automatic links to some other preexisting wiki.

It would be escecially nice if this were a module add in to XOOPS or Drupal so I could have comments and the like.

Does something like this exist? Thanks.
Rowland Send private email
Monday, August 27, 2007

I'd love to create a page called "the" on a wiki like that.
Aaron
Monday, August 27, 2007

TWiki creates automatic links between pages, provided those page names use a particular format. See twiki.org .
Anon
Tuesday, August 28, 2007

Aaron: respect. :D

If you locate one, don't hesitate also to add "and", "but", "if" and "he".
ping?
Tuesday, August 28, 2007

Ping/Aaron,

obviously creating a link out of every word is not going to work - but the general idea works well provided there's some restriction to the 'link words'.

In TWiki, if you write a word with repeated capitalisation such as ThisIsALinkedPage, then it appears with a small symbol next to it. Clicking on the symbol creates a page with that name. Using that name elsewhere on the site automatically links to the page with no further effort on the editor's part.

Again, see twiki.org for details.
Anon
Tuesday, August 28, 2007

"In TWiki, if you write a word with repeated capitalisation such as ThisIsALinkedPage"

That was the original way that wikis marked up links (see www.c2.com) - this has largely been superseded by the MediaWiki style of linking using [[ and ]].
Arethuza Send private email
Tuesday, August 28, 2007

I used [link] on my own Wiki because I expected lots of Java code references and thought making every BumpyWord a link would be too busy. I kind of regret it, because users didn't link things together as much as I'd hoped. Try a Wiki with the BumpyWord approach and see if you like it.
Stan James Send private email
Tuesday, August 28, 2007

With Drupal, you have the "glossary" module which does a variation of this.  You create glossary terms along with definitions and then anywhere that term shows up, it provides a link.  IIRC, by default it pops up the term but you may be able to modify that to support going to a specific page... and/or populating that list from the set of pages.
KC Send private email
Tuesday, August 28, 2007

"Suppose I have a page named Oak. It's all about oak trees. I would like every occurrence of the work Oak on every other page of the site to be a hyperlink to my Oak page. I want this to happen AUTOMATICALLY."

This is all very well and good until somebody creates a page about the history of Java, or a page about Pokemon, both contexts where the word Oak will frequently appear but will have nothing whatsoever to do with the tree.  :)
Iago
Wednesday, August 29, 2007

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics