The Design of Software (CLOSED)

A public forum for discussing the design of software, from the user interface to the code architecture. Now closed.

The "Design of Software" discussion group has been merged with the main Joel on Software discussion group.

The archives will remain online indefinitely.

Simple and solid CMS in PHP?

I have been updating static pages for a non-profit for a couple of months now. It is basically an 8-page site with an image gallery and a contact us form right now, but I think it's a good time to build or install a simple CMS system to let the non-technical volunteers do the updates themselves.

I am am seriously pending to rolling my own home-baked CMS with Symfony and a handful of plugins, as I think Drupal may be intimidating for the potential editors, but I'd like to hear your suggestions first.
rubinelli
Monday, August 27, 2007

Yes, it can be a bit too much for non-technical users, that's why I set up a "Content Manager" role in addition to "System Admin" roles.

For the CM role, trim everything away except the bare minimum... creating and editing content.  Then set them up with tinyMCE and tweak in the input filters and odds are that about 95+% of their needs will be met.
KC Send private email
Monday, August 27, 2007

i have setup people with wordpress for this sort of thing
it is tailored towards blogging, but it only takes a few minutes to remove the bloggy type links and stuff and just use the pages publishing bit. plus there are plenty of plugins for gallerys, youtube, etc, and lots of help on the web
bumperbox
Monday, August 27, 2007

How easily can I bend Drupal or WP to have custom forms like the aforementioned Contact Us and perhaps a donation page? Other suggestions are still welcome, by the way.
rubinelli
Monday, August 27, 2007

If you have the content, I've found that it's a 30-60 minute job depending on how many pages there are.  You need to create the pages, create the menu, and then link the two.
KC Send private email
Tuesday, August 28, 2007

Take a look at http://www.opensourcecms.com/ to see and try out a lot of different PHP based CMS systems.

They have demos of all of the CMSs on-line.  Every two hours they reload the demos so that people can try them out (customize, add data, etc) but be fresh for the next user.
RocketJeff Send private email
Tuesday, August 28, 2007

WP is very much a blogging tool (scrolling, time-based posts). Even though it can be used as a CMS, it ends up being rather simplistic. If you have a simplistic site, it would work, but if your needs grow, it might be more work than necessary.

I personally don't really like Drupal, but it is one of your better bets. You get used to it in time.

I also heard good things about ExpressionEngine (commercial), but never actually used it. You might want to check it out.
outback
Wednesday, September 05, 2007

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics