The Design of Software (CLOSED)

A public forum for discussing the design of software, from the user interface to the code architecture. Now closed.

The "Design of Software" discussion group has been merged with the main Joel on Software discussion group.

The archives will remain online indefinitely.

PHP Frameworks

I've developed many small PHP applications as a side-job for several years, but I've never really had the need to use PHP frameworks. As I start to develop larger applications, I still find myself wondering if I really should be using a PHP  frameworks. What are your thoughts on this? Am I really missing out on a lot by not using a PHP framework? Or if I continue developing PHP in an object oriented fashion where I can reuse my common code (such as database connections and querying) is that going to do the trick?

Thanks,
Jeff
Jeff Send private email
Friday, August 24, 2007

i have been in the same boat as you. i checked out numerous frameworks but never really found anything that suited my needs, and was really easy to learn
most of the frameworks try to cater for everything for everybody, and thats why they become so complex

i have just stuck with my own libraries and keep the same setup for all my sites, so that anything i improve can be used on all the sites. i still use external stuff, like smarty templates

either way keep it simple, thats my strategy anyway
bumperbox
Saturday, August 25, 2007

It depends on what type of applications you are trying to write - are they web sites or web applications (ie. formerly a desktop application)? If you are building an adminstrative application where a small number of users need to maintain the contents of a database with a large number of tables then take at look at http://www.radicore.org. It is a rapid application develoment tool which allows you build maintenace screens for databae tables in a matter of minutes without having to write any HTML or SQL.
Tony Marston Send private email

I've tried most frameworks and they trend to make things more complex.

The only one that I've found not so complex is the new http://www.akelos.org  Akelos PHP Framework, which use to do things in a way that makes sense.

I found it useful for organizing the application in a well structured manner, simple unit testing and distributing changes in the database using the migrations.

If your application is so simple it could fit in 1000 lines of code, do not bother on learning any framework..
Sara Gomez Gil Send private email

Thanks for all of the replies. The types of applications I tend to develop are not huge, enterprise level software (if they were, I probably wouldn't be using PHP anyway). For now, I'll stick with writing my own code and not trying to tackle the difficulties of a PHP framework since the payoff is probably not there for me.
Jeff Send private email

I looked at a couple but decided they were more work than necessary. However I did take away quite a few good ideas which I have implemented myself so it was worth the research.
Tony Edgecombe Send private email

I was writing my own code, because I found the frameworks' learning curve too steep. But one day I found CodeIgniter: www.codeigniter.com

It's a small footprint framework, with an excellent user guide and lots of useful libraries and helpers. The thing that amazed me at first was the tutorial in which an entire blog software (simple one, of course) is built in 20 minutes. So I decided to give it a go, and I'm really impressed with it.
Emanuel Haisiuc Send private email

>>> For now, I'll stick with writing my own code and not trying to tackle the difficulties of a PHP framework since the payoff is probably not there for me. <<<

Just create your own framework that is tailored to your needs.
*myName Send private email

Check out the Zend Framework.

Loosely coupled framework where you can mix and match the components.
Elliot
Sunday, August 26, 2007

Zend Framework* is nice in that although it can be a whole framework, you can choose to use it as a toolbox too... just reach in and pull out the components that you need.  I've added logging and database interaction this way and it's worked out quite well.

* Disclosure:  Technically I am a contributor to the ZF but have done nothing in terms of code and basically nothing in terms of docs.  But I will be talking updating apps using the ZF at ZendCon in Oct.
KC Send private email
Monday, August 27, 2007

I've found that the ZF has some really good components that fit nicely into our home-grown 'framework'. It's certainly worth taking a look at the docs so you know what's there, should you find a need for any of it in the future.
G Jones
Monday, August 27, 2007

Whether or not you end up using a framework (CakePHP is nice too, btw ;)) I think you'll find it very useful to learn the general idea of the MVC pattern, which most web frameworks are based on.

Understanding the separation between Model, View and Controller will be helpful when building web apps of any size, IMHO.
Nir Send private email
Monday, September 03, 2007

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics