The Design of Software (CLOSED)

A public forum for discussing the design of software, from the user interface to the code architecture. Now closed.

The "Design of Software" discussion group has been merged with the main Joel on Software discussion group.

The archives will remain online indefinitely.

Book on idiomatic windows equivalents to unixisms

Hi, I have some code that uses unix domain sockets that I'd like to port to windows. What is the idiomatic equivalent to this on the windows platform?

In general, any recommendations on how to translate concepts from unix programming to windows? I would like to learn some new things and porting some low-level server code to windows seems like a fun way.
unixnerd Send private email
Monday, August 20, 2007

You want "Windows System Programming" (3rd edition) by Johnson M. Hart.  It's aimed directly at experienced programmers from older OSes like Unix and VMS, and offers direct comparisons as well as very clear technical explanations.

For those of us who didn't cut our teeth on Stevens' "Advanced Programming in the Unix Environment" or the like, I think a better book would be Jeff Richter's comprehensive "Programming Applications for Microsoft Windows" which covers most of Win32 systems programming topics (not graphical user interfaces) at great length.
David Librik
Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Thank you! The windows systems programming looks perfect for me.
unixnerd Send private email
Tuesday, August 21, 2007

This book I got on the remainder shelf, but is aimed more at unix/windows interop, so I think it might be helpful for comparing how you do things differently at each end of the wire:
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/1929629079/
Peter Send private email
Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Most of the posix calls are also available on windows.
But you might have to redesign any higher level code since fork and select aren't as available.
Martin Send private email
Tuesday, August 21, 2007

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics