The Design of Software (CLOSED)

A public forum for discussing the design of software, from the user interface to the code architecture. Now closed.

The "Design of Software" discussion group has been merged with the main Joel on Software discussion group.

The archives will remain online indefinitely.

Client/Server app. using Java

I am planning to develop a software for hospitals. I have two options, .NET / Java. I am experienced with .NET but want to learn Java too. I feel this project in hand is an opportunity to explore Java in real-life environment.

I want to know whether Java is suitable for this type of application where there will be no use of Internet, just on LAN. Is Java used for standalone apps?

Which RDBMS is suitable with Java, SQL Server, Oracle, MySQL, PostgreSQL?
RK Send private email
Saturday, August 18, 2007

If your building an application that has to be designed for the medical field go with the language you are most fluent and experienced in. Trying to teach yourself a language and try to meet deadlines at the same time is only setting yourself for failure or serious coffee addiction.

At least have a member on your team with 7-8 years platform experience before writing absolutely any code.
Entity Send private email

I did a project for the NHS (UK) a few years ago and found that the Java Runtime was already on every desktop and was kept up to date.

MS SQL Server was the database engine used, however i would have preferred mySQL or PostgreSQL.
Floyd Price Send private email

There is no deadline at present. We have to convert an existing DOS application to Windows. DOS version is running well and we have plenty of time to study the old version and convert to a GUI version.

Which is the best IDE for Java programming and JDBC?
RK Send private email

Jave can be used for client applications, Oracle's enterprise manger was in Java on version 9i for example. It can connect to almost any Database using JDBC. There are at least two GUI tookkits, one the ships with Java Swing and another from Eclipse I believe.

My only complaint is that Java apps take a while to load compared to to others but your mileage may vary.

Good Luck
John

"Which is the best IDE for Java programming and JDBC?"

Umm. Eclipse. To be honest, if you don't know that, then you really need to just go with what you already know.
my name is here

NetBeans is better than Eclipse in my opinion. It will seem more like Visual Studio to you.

However, I wouldn't use Java for a desktop application that targets Windows. Especially not a DOS conversion. Go with .NET. Java is wonderful for web stuff but being cross-platform means that it can only get you 90% of the way there on a desktop app on any given platform. And the final 10% can be a real killer.
dood mcdoogle

And IntelliJ/Idea is better than both.  It is non-free, but well worth every penny.
Michael G Send private email

if it is just a dos app, why go client server
a webapp is usually just as good a replacement

The previous DOS version is written in dBASE III+. It has problems with files getting corrupt on power failure and other problems of maintaining large DBF files.

The hospital wants GUI version. The problem with .NET is that most machines in the hospital are Pentium 1 200-500 MHz. I don't think .NET will work on it.

What about Java, and other alternative for this configuration?
RK Send private email
Sunday, August 19, 2007

If you're in the US, you'll need to get familiar with the HIPAA rules and guidelines...  check with the hospital to see if they already have a set of "approved" or "validated" platforms.  If they do, you won't be able to stray from those without approval from their IT/Security people.
KC Send private email
Sunday, August 19, 2007

I don't think you will find Java performance any better then .Net for a GUI application. With machines that slow, you might want to consider Delphi which will provide a native executable. Another alternative might be VB 6.
Gerald
Monday, August 20, 2007

Second that suggestion for Delphi (Win32 or .NET).

It is often overlooked, but I have used it in the past for porting a DOS app that had a Paradox database backend.

Was great as you could go as low level as you want (down to assembler if you need to), but fully OO, fast (even on low end machines) and plenty of support for older database formats like DBase. Also allows a future path to webapps or to Delphi.NET/C# etc.

Very productive environment as well. I recently had a 'blast from the past' looking at some old code using VB6 & it seemed so primitive compared to Delphi 7 of the same era. Using C# for a little project at the moment & it always seems so Delphi like.

I am also aware of some Medical apps written in Delphi that meet regulations.
Grant Black Send private email
Tuesday, August 21, 2007

"Which is the best IDE for Java programming and JDBC?"

Eclipse, IMO.  With the vast availability of 3rd party plug-ins, it gives you a lot of options beyond just development.

HOWEVER, it is a bit scary that you're asking that question...
OneMist8k
Wednesday, August 22, 2007

For "Pentium 1 200-500 MHz" forget both .NET and Java.

You'll want native code.

I wrote an app for a local college health center 10 years ago on similar hardware using C++ Builder (same framework as Delphi) and the BDE. The last version used C++ Builder and SQL Server 2000 via ADO. It ran great on modest desktops.

The only other options I would suggest are VB6 and C++/MFC along wth ADO.

For old school hardware, you need old school methodology.
Anony
Thursday, August 23, 2007

+1 for Delphi - I do also .NET development, but with my Delphi native apps I can't complain of any performance issues on older machines. With some .NET apps I had subcontracted, I do get the 'why does it take so long for the screens to paint' questions. Latest architecture/framework vs end user satisfaction, I go with the users since they tend to pay when they are happy, and don't when they are dissatisfied...

Right now, using Delphi 2006, corelabs native MySQL components and MySQL 5 with stored procedures, fast, fast, fast and light on network too. You could do Firebird(Interbase) as well, but it's following is slightly less than MySQL.

If you want to re-engineer your Native App later on to be managed code, just don't do anything too funky with pointers and API calls, and you can convert your app to .NET with Delphi and distribute the VCL.NET - same app, just runs slower :)
I still code in Delphi
Tuesday, August 28, 2007

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics