The Design of Software (CLOSED)

A public forum for discussing the design of software, from the user interface to the code architecture. Now closed.

The "Design of Software" discussion group has been merged with the main Joel on Software discussion group.

The archives will remain online indefinitely.

Resolution

On what resolution should I develop an app. so that it is supported for years. I am using .NET. Presently, developing on 1024x768, since it is a standard now.

Are there any tools that automatically sizes the form according to the resolution?
RK Send private email
Tuesday, August 14, 2007

Quick reply:
It's one of WPF goals to remove the burden of changing (increasing?) resolutions from developer.

Longer and more confusing answer:
You should predict what resolution your target audience will have in years and what's the expected use of your application. E.g. publishing system or installation wizard would have very different requirements and expectations for the screens real estate.

As for user habits - right now I use 240x320 on HTC PDA, 1920x1200 (sometimes 1200x1920) on home desktop, 1600x1200 on the main laptop, but that gets scaled down to 1024x768 or 800x600 for presentations. It's often 1280x1024 in the office and it sometimes helps if application I use fits into a smaller window of remote desktop. I almost never set 125% font size as rare applications handles it without a glitch, but then again I have a lot of friends who feel more comfortable with 125%.
DK Send private email
Tuesday, August 14, 2007

> Are there any tools that automatically sizes the form according to the resolution?

Yes, it's called HTML. Browsers have been doing this for years.
Dan Shappir Send private email
Tuesday, August 14, 2007

I always wonder, whenever I see this question, what these people are doing that it makes sense to design for a specific resolution. When I'm writing desktop software I design the application's windows to work as some minimal size (200 pixels tall by 300 pixels wide) but to scale up gracefully. When I write web pages I try not to think about resolution at all but try to keep things good looking on 640x480 if at all possible (I figure if you've got the window sized much smaller than 600x400 then you can put up with scroll bars) but, again, have the page deal with larger windows without causing problems.

There was a short time when it seemed like everyone had moved beyond 640x480 and had, at least, 1024x768 displays, but then came cell phones with browsers and palmtop computing and we were back to sub-VGA resolutions. Under any circumstance, however, I think it's bad form to assume that your users will always maximize their windows: make your apps and web pages usable in a small window so that your users who like many overlapping windows on screen at once won't be a annoyed.
Jeffrey Dutky Send private email
Tuesday, August 14, 2007

Fluid layout are great, but i always make sure my layouts look best at 1024x768
Floyd Price Send private email
Thursday, August 16, 2007

I do not like Websites that are too wide for my resolution.  I can put up with a bit if the page is really wide for a good reason (but do not push it).  The worst are the ones that are just a bit (<100 pixels) too wide and that I have to read the entire width.  I probably spend more time adjusting scrollbars than reading such a site.

While we are at it: It is much easier to read narrower columns than a march of text that goes ALL-LLL-LLLL the way across the screen.

Sincerely,

Gene Wirchenko
Gene Wirchenko Send private email
Thursday, August 16, 2007

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics