The Design of Software (CLOSED)

A public forum for discussing the design of software, from the user interface to the code architecture. Now closed.

The "Design of Software" discussion group has been merged with the main Joel on Software discussion group.

The archives will remain online indefinitely.

Remote Troubleshooting

I heard of tools to connect to remote desktop. Are there any such tools through which I can connect to a remote desktop and troubleshoot problems on my customer's computer.
RK Send private email
Thursday, August 09, 2007

Remote Desktop, VNC, or Copilot.  Copilot is the easiest to work with out of the box.

Copilot is built by Fog Creek, the gracious hosts of these forums.  ;)
KC Send private email

I use Remote Anything to access clients workstations through a VPN so I can download and install Windows patches, install / configure new software... or get them out of trouble when they can't figure out how to do something in Excel.
RobL

There's actually quite a few of those around.

There's WebEx, GotoMyPC, RAdmin, and VNC. Fog Creek has a product called Copilot which works well. I've tried it a few times.

The last couple versions of Windows come with something called "Remote Desktop Connection." You can use this to connect to another desktop or to a Windows server.
Slartibartfast Send private email

Remote desktop blanks the customers screen while you are working on it which may be unacceptable. It is sometimes tricky to configure firewalls to allow an inbound connection to it.
VNC works but the customer has to install it.

Copilot (by fogcreek)  is a hosted version of VNC where the customer makes an outgoing call as do you and so neither of you need to do any firewall changes. It uninstalls from the customers machine after use.

There is a free equivalent called VNC-singleclick which makes a run once exe for the customer which connects directly to your machine, you must have a machien outside your firewall for this. You can also brand it to show your company logo/customer specific text. We use this for support.
Martin Send private email

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics