The Design of Software (CLOSED)

A public forum for discussing the design of software, from the user interface to the code architecture. Now closed.

The "Design of Software" discussion group has been merged with the main Joel on Software discussion group.

The archives will remain online indefinitely.

Develop software using Orcas (VS 2008)

Visual Studio 2008 Code Name "Orcas" is in Beta 2 stage. I want to know whether it can be used to develop a commercial application. I want to test various new features like LINQ etc.

When is it schedule to be released as a final version?
RK Send private email
Thursday, August 09, 2007

The RTM version It should be out to MSDN subscribers by the end of this year. I believe the launch events (hint: free licences) will start in February.
Anna-Jayne Metcalfe Send private email

I believe the latest (Beta 2 as you state) comes with a go-live license. So yes, you could legally start developing commercial applications with it. Whether you want to (weighing your opinions on the level of change likely to happen in a Beta 2 to Gold span) is entirely up to you.

Would I want to write space shuttle software using it? No. A desktop app slated for next summer? Maybe. A web system to be deployed on servers I own and control? Probably. Your mileage may vary.
Andrew Cherry Send private email

Scheduled release is 27th Feb 2008

I believe I read somewhere that this beta is 99% feature complete and that only minor alterations to code would need to be made to make applications written now compile with the final product. I took this to mean that there will only be a few tweaks to the apis between now and launch.

Hope that helps
Foxedup

"After February 2008" is the timeframe I've read.
another refugee

Do they call it "Orcas" because it's a whale?
AllanL5

The Launch event for VS 2008 (as well as SQL Server 2008 and Windows Server 2008) is scheduled for Feb. 27.

Visual Studio is expected to be available before that launch event, but the actual release date not yet known.

Beta 2 includes a "Go Live" license terms in it's EULA if you want to get started before then.
Chris Brooks Send private email

I saw a video on Channel9 where Soma Somasegar said there is a "Go Live" license with Beta 2, so yes, you can already develop commercial products with Beta 2.

I believe the launch for final RTM is to occur in Feb. 2008 (so it will RTM prior to that).
Jared

FWIW, the code names of the last few releases of Visual Studio have been based on place names on Puget Sound in Washington State.  The follow an arc bending West & North from the mainland out into the islands.

VS 2003 - "Everett"
VS 2005 - "Whidbey"
VS 2008 - "Orcas"
Chris Brooks Send private email

Test it on a spare machine!
I installed the beta and it screwed .Net2.0 to the extent that window supdate crashes when trying to do security updates for 2.0
I removed it but now .Net 3.5 won't install so I can't get put it back.
Martin Send private email

Always use a virtual machine for running Betas of ANY software. There have been plenty of issues in the past where installing early betas would cause the final RTM version not to install correctly. Microsoft always releases some sort of tool to try and "clean up" previous beta installations but I'm not sure if they really work that well.

Bottom line: use a virtual machine or a separate physical machine.
anon

Orcas is available as a Virtual Machine. I just went through the steps of installing it myself.

http://blog.wildmousesoftware.com/2007/08/installing-visual-studio-2008-beta-2.html
Phil C Send private email

"Do they call it "Orcas" because it's a whale?"

Yeah a killer whale.

"I need to find a way to have Virtual PC not keep a log but just write directly to the base image."

Turn off "undo disks" in the settings of the virtual machine. In the virtual pc console applet, highlight your
virtual machine and click the "settings" button. Look in the list for undo disks. Make sure it is set to disabled. Now you won't have to commit changes when you shutdown.

"I'm concerned about performance but comments on that will have to wait until I play with it awhile. "

Make sure the virtual machine additions are installed. They probably are since it is a virtual machine from Microsoft and they should know better. Go to the add/remove programs applet ON THE VIRTUAL MACHINE and make sure there is an entry there for Virtual Machine Additions. If there isn't (then shame on Microsoft), click the Action menu item at the top of the running virtual machine and select "Install of Update Virtual Machine Additions". These will make the virtual machine run a near-native speeds.

Also, there are other factors which can impact performance. Undo disks hurt a little bit. But you should also consider putting the virtual hard drive file on an external USB hard drive. It seems strange but this will actually make a big difference since your virtual machine will not be contending with you normal hard drive. You also need as much memory as possible on your machine.

Check out the Virtual PC Guy's Weblog for more tips.

http://blogs.msdn.com/Virtual_PC_Guy/

And welcome to the world of virtual machines! You're gonna love it!
dood mcdoogle

Thanks dood!
Phil C Send private email

No problem.

I just turned another one of my co-workers onto Virtual PC this past week and he is already hooked. I also told him that I would gladly give up my nice 21" widscreen monitor. But you'd have to pry Virtual PC from my cold, dead hands. I literally couldn't do my job without it.
dood mcdoogle

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics